Equestrian on the Move

Iselle Longman rides her horse Monte in the Rolex Arena
at Kentucky Horse Park July 22, 2021 during the United States 
Pony Club Championships. Longman is taking the steps to make 
horseback riding her profession.

Photo by Christopher Chrisolm

Iselle Longman rides her horse Monte in the Rolex Arena at Kentucky Horse Park July 22, 2021 during the United States Pony Club Championships. Longman is taking the steps to make horseback riding her profession.

Ella Lambiris, A&E/Features Editor

Iselle Longman, a junior at Reagan, is taking a very different path than most after high school. In January 2022, Longman will graduate early and move to Florida to ride and be a working student for International Federation of Equestrian sports and Grand Prix rider Ashley Madison. 

“Honestly, my expectations are quite low,” Longman said. “I have many goals for the months I plan to spend in Florida, but going in as a working student, you can’t have expectations.” 

During Longman’s sophomore year, she switched from Reagan to online classes to focus on riding. She was able to add some extra classes which gave her the credits she needs to be eligible for early graduation.

Longman is a competitive equestrian and has been riding horses for 12 years. She recently found her love for dressage in 2018 after experimenting with many other types of riding. Dressage is a discipline of horseback riding where the horse and rider ride through a test or pattern to demonstrate control, rhythm and show that their horse is willing to do what the rider is directing them to do. 

Through the hard years of blood, sweat and tears, Longman has made her way up to a very high level of Dressage. At just 17, Longman placed fifth at the Festival of Champions in Illinois in 2020 and was the youngest FEI rider at United States Pony Club Nationals this past summer. 

Although Longman is very excited and looking forward to the move, a lot of stress and anxiety come with it. Moving is one thing, but moving her horse Monte with her is another.

Iselle Longman

As a working student, Longman will be doing barn chores every day for the majority of the day, along with getting some riding lessons on her horse Monte from Madison and other upper level dressage riders. 

“I know that many days I will be nothing more than the barn help,” Longman said. “However, doing the work others don’t want to do and doing it well is what stands out to these people.” 

In Florida, Longman will be living in a two-bedroom apartment with another working student. During the winter season, many equestrians go to Florida to ride and train. 

Steffen Peters and Adrienne Lyle, two of the three dressage Olympians from this year’s United States team, will be there. However, Longman is most excited to see her friends. Many of her friends live in different states, but they have connected through competitions and mutual friends.

“I know for a fact that the majority of my friends that don’t live near me will be there, and we will get to spend many days out of the week together,” Longman said. 

Despite the sport being extremely mentally and physically draining, Longman has plans to make a career out of it. After her time in Florida, Longman plans to finish getting her British Horse Society certifications at Stoneleigh Burnham, a private all-girls boarding school in Greenfield, Mass. After her time as a working student, Longman hopes to spend some time working with other professional trainers to eventually go out on her own and open up her own riding facility.

Longman has had a lot of support from friends, family and coaches to get her where she is today. Though they are very excited for where life will take her, she will be missed by her North Carolina friends and her family.

“I know she will be able to do whatever she wants in this career because she is very dedicated,” said Longman’s mother, Dawn Longman. “It’s very exciting to watch what she has worked so hard for become a reality.”