The Student News Site of Ronald W. Reagan High School

The Rooster

The Rooster

The Rooster

New Year, New Calendar

Raiders prepare for shorter summer, earlier start date
The student version of the 2024-2025 calendar allows 1st semester exams to be completed before winter break.

Shortly after winter break ended, Winston-Salem/Forsyth County School system stakeholders were asked to vote on the calendar for the 2024-2025 school year, and the change has shocked families throughout the school district. Students will start the year on Aug. 12, 2024, two weeks earlier than this year, and will finish May 20, 2025.

Summer sports events and practices will have to be shifted for the new calendar, and students with summer jobs must rethink their plans before the school year begins.

“I am a lifeguard during the summer and the new calendar has forced me to give up two weeks of work,” said sophomore Cleo Englekins. “It is hard adjusting so late into the school year and because we’re getting closer to summer vacation.”

Before the WS/FCS school board announced that absences in the first two weeks would not be counted, students were frustrated due to changes in summer plans such as vacations and day trips. Now, students would be free to miss the first days of school without the threat of being eligible for final exam exemptions.

“I think it’s great that they’re not counting absences, mainly because of all the new students coming in next year,” said freshmen Stone Freyberg. “This gives everyone time to not really think about school and enjoy the last parts of their vacation.”

While most people have seen the benefit of the change, others have noticed small flaws within it. Performing arts teachers have voiced that the calendar would make it harder to schedule semester performances due to conflicts with exams.

“Theatre, dance and other musical concerts need to fit into the schedule,” said theatre teacher Jennifer Janus. “Having exams around the same time as performances stresses out teachers, coordinators and especially students who need time to study.”

Teachers with rising college freshmen have also been faced with the problem of move-in day. Steve Keaton, social studies teacher, head wrestling coach and father to graduating senior Avery Keaton, talked about the situation and his trust in administration to handle it. 

“I feel like Mr. Royal and administrators will be able to work with teachers and understand the importance of being there for your child during this new chapter of their life,” Keaton said.

Due to the cut of summer time this school year, sports such as football, cheerleading, marching band and cross country will lose practice time for the upcoming fall season. Sports teams must now work around the summer heat as well as teammates who are on summer vacation.

“We’re used to having all of August for official training and it’s mandatory,” said track and cross country runner sophomore Lily Hayes. “With people on vacation in July, there’s a possibility that we will not be as prepared as usual.” 

Graduating seniors have found the new change to be shocking and while their summer will not be affected, they believe underclassmen will overcome the challenges throughout the year.

“I believe that everyone will adapt quickly, and I think this gives everyone a chance to find new dates or events for the school year,” said senior Sabrina Shobe. “With the new calendar, next year is a great opportunity for students and teachers to step outside of the norm.”