“To All the Boys: Always and Forever:” Third time’s the charm

Image by Leah Boone

“To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before: Always and Forever” premiered on Netflix on Feb. 12, 2021. The film is rated TV-14.

Leah Boone, Co Editor-in-Chief

The third movie in the “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” series came onto Netflix on Feb. 12, 2021. The movie follows the same two characters, Lara Jean Covey (Lana Condor) and Peter Kavinsky (Noah Centineo) as they go through senior year of high school.

The film opens with Lara Jean and her family vacationing in Seoul, South Korea for spring break. The family shares a heartwarming moment while in Seoul, reminiscing about Lara Jean’s mother who passed. 

Lara Jean and Peter have already been through ups and downs as a couple in previous movies, but come out stronger every time. The third movie centers around arguably the most tumultuous decision for high school couples: college. 

The couple agrees to go to Stanford University together, but after one of the characters gets deferred, their plan is foiled. 

The movie then follows the senior class as they travel to New York City, where Lara Jean and Peter are once again challenged after one of them falls in love with New York University.

So now the couple’s challenge is the classic “can we handle long distance?” question. After realizing that not only are they not going to the same college, but also going to colleges across the country from each other, the couple already feels distance between them. 

The couple goes to senior prom, where a fairly decent night ends in heartbreak. However, just as any couple in a teenage romance movie does, they rekindle their love in the most romantic of ways. 

After her father’s wedding, Lara Jean and Peter come back together and share an incredible moment in a beautiful setting. After that, the movie is all sunshine and rainbows. 

I will be honest; I had very high hopes for this movie. I am a sucker for cheesy romance movies, as much as I hate to admit it, and I really wanted this one to be amazing. The good news? It exceeded my expectations. 

A typical movie based on teenage romance focuses only on the romance. This series, however, also focuses on the teenagers’ relationship with their parents, their siblings, their friends and even themselves. 

I will definitely say this movie was the best out of the series in every way possible. It made me laugh, it made me cry and overall, it made my heart happy. 

Make sure you watch the previous two movies in the series, “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” and “To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You.” They are both amazing movies as well, but the third definitely takes the cake in my book.

I am generally not a fan of Valentine’s Day, but I will say, watching this movie the day before Valentine’s really put me in the lovey-dovey spirit. It is a very heartwarming film that I highly recommend. My rating is easily a 10 out of 10.