Quarantine and Teacher’s Mental Health

Ella Lambiris, Rooster Reporter

During this COVID-19 pandemic, all kinds of people have struggled with mental health issues in the form of stress, depression, anxiety, and much more. Though many do a great job hiding or overcoming their mental anguish, others silently suffer with the changes this pandemic has brought. No one is immune and anyone can fall victim to the mental health burden of COVID-19, even our very own teachers.

From a teacher’s perspective, the COVID-19 pandemic has altered their daily routine drastically. From working face to face with their students, for about seven hours a day, five days a week, to now only seeing their students through a screen. 

I would say that my job has become very different. It is much more challenging to try to help people solve problems through the phone or by email rather than in person,” said guidance counselor Emily Allen.

Staying home all day with little to no human interaction is definitely a struggle for most, especially those with a job that revolves around socializing and seeing people all day. 

Many people are experiencing all kinds of emotions during this pandemic, but stress is a big one for most. Our teachers and students are having to adapt to a new way of teaching and learning, in a short period of time.

“Teaching online is way more stressful than face to face,” said Spanish teacher Michelle Bennet. “I’ve been teaching 28 years but I feel like a first year teacher. I spend hours to find engaging activities that incorporate real life examples in Spanish of the topics we are studying. Then technology happens: the link won’t open, or the video won’t load, or the website is down, or someone leaves their mic unmuted with Cardi B playing in the background.”

Despite the stressful times COVID-19 has thrown our way, there are many ways to cope and handle these challenges. 

“Making more time for exercise, walking my dogs more often, meeting with friends and neighbors has become very important for me,” said Eric Rader. 

It’s important to take care of yourself through these tough times but also, be nice to others. You never know what someone is going through.