Raiders Return to in-person classes

Photo by Shannon Overby

Freshmen Ava Leggett, Carolina Pilla, and Charlotte Ritcher plan world domination for Mr. Balsar’s “Create an Empire” Unit. Students attend in person on their given cohort day.

Ella Lambiris, Rooster Reporter

The day has finally come for Winston Salem / Forsyth County public schools. After almost a year of being stuck inside and doing school via Zoom, students are finally going back to school partially in person, even though private schools have been back full time for a while.

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper and Senate leader Phil Berger have announced that they are working towards getting more K-12 public schools reopened. However, there still is a choice for students to remain fully virtual as well.

The only time students are required to go back into the building is for exams. On these occasions, only one or two grades are in the building. When students are taking exams in the building, social distancing guidelines are still followed and only 5-12 students per classroom or any location inside of Reagan where a distance of six feet apart can be followed. 

Those who wish to return to Reagan for in person learning are required to wear a mask at all times, except when eating and drinking. No gaiters are allowed. Throughout the day, students and staff will always remain 6 feet apart from others. 

“As much as I would love to come back I am doing online school until next year to make sure it’s safe,” said freshman Isley Rives. “It doesn’t seem worth it.”

Students who wish to return to school in person, can go two days every other week based on the cohort they are assigned to. 

Cohorts divide the schools students into four groups, based on last name. Cohort 1 includes the students whose last name starts with letters A-D. Cohort 2 is E-K, cohort 3 is L-Ri, and cohort 4 is Ro-Z. This grouping is used to limit the number of students in the building, and to maintain a COVID safe environment.

It was just recently decided by the school board that cohorts will be combined to two starting April 12.

“I like the idea of combining cohorts because it lets me see more of my friends and have bigger class sizes,” said freshman David Wuwert.

If you’re worried about the quality of learning at home versus in person, don’t be. The only difference between the two is location and social interaction. In the classroom, students will still be on a zoom call, along with the ones who are at home. 

Despite the attempts of getting back to normal, being back in the classroom doesn’t quite feel normal yet. Many students are remaining completely online for the remainder of this school year. There can be as little as one person in a classroom.

“It’s weird not seeing the mosh pit,” said junior Christina Long. 

Many students have different opinions about going back to school in person. Some would rather stay online, and have developed a routine being home all day. Others learn better being in the classroom.

“I prefer in person because of the energy I feel when I am around other teachers and students,” said freshman Ella Willard. “ I’m very social, so getting out of the house and being able to interact with people in real life is ideal.”

As of now,  limited numbers are allowed to attend Reagan sporting events by purchasing a ticket. However, the state has now changed the outdoor seating capacity to 30%.

“I am hopeful that next year will be a little more normal and that we will all be back in the classroom safely,” Rives said.