Johnson to Retire after Six “Wonderful Years” at Reagan

Mary-Kate Appanaitis

More stories from Mary-Kate Appanaitis

Richard+Zeke+Johnson+showcases+his+well+known+smile+at+the+end+of+the+lunch+period.++Johnson+has+worked+at+Reagan+as+head+custodian+for+six+years.+

Mary-Kate Appanaitis

Richard “Zeke” Johnson showcases his well known smile at the end of the lunch period. Johnson has worked at Reagan as head custodian for six years.

Reagan is known for having a beautiful and unusually clean campus. Behind the scenes, many people work hard to promote and maintain this image, the most important person being Richard “Zeke” Johnson, head custodian of Reagan. After years of dedicated service at Reagan, the time has come  for Johnson to retire.

For 35 years, Johnson worked at Hanes Dye and Finishing. When a large number of people were laid off by the company, he began custodial work at Thomas Jefferson Middle School. Six years ago, Johnson was brought over to Reagan from Jefferson by then-principal Frank Martin.

“Frank told me he had to have me with him at Reagan, so I came right over,” said Johnson.

In his years at Reagan, Johnson has brought happiness to all students and faculty, even when coming to school at 4 a.m. in order to have everything ready for the students and teachers. Many know him by his big smile and kind words every day in the cafeteria.

“He is always so sweet to everyone,” said senior Ema McCool. “All of Reagan is going to miss him.”

Every day at lunch, student’s days are brightened by Johnson’s presence at lunch.

“He is always so friendly,” said senior Madison Wynn. “I love how he always has such a big smile on his face.”

The love is on both sides, as Johnson says that his favorite part of being at Reagan has been meeting all of the people, and getting to know all of the kids. He talked of his favorite memory at Reagan, which occured on his birthday.

While collecting trash at the end of lunch, he was stopped by two football players in the middle of the cafeteria. Confused, he waited, and then watched as the whole cafeteria sang for him.

“It was the nicest thing,” Johnson said. “I nearly shed a few tears that day.”

Johnson’s hard work has not gone unnoticed by the Reagan community. Students and staff alike are grateful for his contributions to the school.

“He is a friendly, helpful, smiling face,” said assistant principal Rebecca Free. “He really takes pride in our school.”

As bittersweet as it is for Johnson to be leaving Reagan, he looks forward to having some free time.

“I have a landscape business that I’m excited to work more with,” Johnson said.  

When not landscaping, he plans to send his time catching up on football and basketball, and visit his two sons and their wives.

“And I’ll do whatever my wife tells me,” Johnson said . “That’s always a good thing to do.”

When asked what he wants to be remembered for when he retired, Johnson had no hesitation at all.

“I want people to remember my smile and my dedication to this job,” Johnson said.

It’s safe to say that Johnson will be remembered fondly for years to come at Reagan, and all of the Raiders wish him well in his new life.

“He has been tremendous member of the staff,” said assistant principal David Uhl. “He takes a lot of pride in his work, and he will be missed sorely.”