“BE”autiful Dancers Take Stage

Once again this year, the Reagan Arts Department presented their annual winter dance concert. The performances were Wednesday, Dec. 13 through Friday Dec. 15 and included over 195 dancers.

Every dance in the concert was performed either by a Reagan dance class or by groups of students who choreographed their own dances. The classes are arranged in progression from  1A, 1B, 2, or Dance 3 and 4 Honors, and students work up to each level by year. Each class had two dances in the winter concert.

The theme for the concert was “ Be…,” with each dance taking on a new concept to fill in the blank. Some of the dances included “Be Friends,” “ Be Strong,” “ Be Yourself” and many other themes. This is in contrast to last year’s theme of  “The Nutcracker,” which was received as more of a Christmas concert for Reagan.

I was in a workshop with Liz Lerman, a famous choreographer and advocate dance education,” dance teacher Molly Harwell said. “ She made a statement about ‘Being a Being’ when you are dancing and it was a simple phrase that really stuck with me. I wanted to create a concert that was meaningful and powerful.”

The theme let many dancers tell their own stories and included different emotional styles and concepts. These concepts like diversity, self-confidence and just having fun help tell a story about each dance.

“The theme this year was pretty cool because each dance expressed different emotions really well,” said sophomore Angelina Russo, who performed in “Be Jolly” and “Be Revolutionary.”

Not only did the theme change, but this is the first year Reagan welcomed new dance teacher Erin Roberts, who also danced in the concert herself, along with Dance 2, 3 and 4 teacher Molly Harwell. This dance was about being in love, and at the end of the song, “Say You Won’t Let Go,” Robert’s and Harwell’s husbands appeared and performed with them.

Ms. Roberts has quickly become a close and dear friend, “ Harwell said.

Both Roberts and Harwell choreograph and teach almost every dance in each concert. Junior Tori Owens said they provide a positive and unique dance experience for all the students they teach.

New stunts and tricks appeared throughout the concert. New lifts were featured, such as when one dancer walked across other students’ backs and jumped off, and when a dancer would run and jump right into the arms of other students. Tricks like hula-hooping, skating while dancing, jump-roping and tap dancing were also displayed.

Song choices were an impactful aspect of the show as well. There were slow songs, like “Pretty Things” by Adam Friedman, then fast songs were utilized, like the final song,  “Runnin’” by Beyonce and Naughty Boy. In a different format, some dances did not feature songs but rather recordings of people talking or giving speeches.

“In order to perform well and have it reflect that feeling towards the audience, the dancers have to like the songs they are performing to,” said senior Luki Martin. “Dance gives students the opportunity to connect with others in a different way.”

One of the dances was the “Be Professional,” dance to “Under Pressure,” by David Bowie. This dance was for National Honor Society for Dance Arts and had a comedic element in the dance. It started with everyone coming out onto the stage wearing a white collared dress shirts and beige pants, acting bored and unhappy. By the end of the dance, everyone was taking a pose where some were sleeping, some were working on a computer, and even some dancers took shots of drinks.

Another dance was the “Be A Teenager,” dance. In this performance, the students danced to “You Belong With Me,” by Taylor Swift where everyone wore different costumes varying

from the band costumes and raiderettes costume, to pajamas.

From the beginning to end of the show, the Reagan dancers showed the wide range of talents they have and represented the Arts Department.

Another concert with a different theme will be held in the spring.