Hustle and heart set Reagan apart this season

Photo Credit: Georgia Robbins

This volleyball season the team was composed of seven seniors and nine underclassmen. A handful of the starters this year were underclassmen.

Emma Rose Olsen, A&E and Features Editor

This volleyball season has been one like no other. Between the challenges of COVID-19 and the almost undefeated season, the team has been through a whirlwind of emotions. 

Head Varsity Volleyball coach Doug Balser said this was one of the hardest seasons yet to coach. The team missed all of their summer workouts due to COVID-19 so Zoom practice was the way to go. 

Months later when they were finally able to get into the gym, they hit the ground running. By working in small pods of players and following all the COVID-19 restrictions, the team was able to stay safe and be fully prepared for the season to come. 

The girls began the season with a killer win against Glenn 3-0. The team had an undefeated regular season even against some of their biggest rivals: Davie and East Forsyth.

After an undefeated regular season the team advanced to the conference tournament and won the first round by forfeit and won the championship against East Forsyth 3-0.

The state playoffs were next and the girls won the first two rounds against Berry Academy 3-0 and Myers Park 3-2. 

A few hours before the final round of the state playoffs Kaci Balser, libero (defensive specialist), hadn’t been feeling well and made the tough decision not to play in the game. Sophomore Amaris Alvarez stepped in for Balser. 

The final game against Green Hope was a big game for the team because they had won the state championship for the past four years.

When Reagan went to the state championship four years ago they lost to Green Hope, so the pressure was on. Unfortunately in the last round, the squad was beat by Green Hope 0-3.

“It was definitely heartbreaking when we lost, we had been doing good all season and broke a lot of school records being undefeated,” said senior Georgia Robbins. “As a senior I was really sad that it was my last game with everyone and knowing we would all never play together again made it that much harder.”

Jordan Smart is a freshman and she is the team’s starting setter. Smart said being a starting freshmen made her work even harder than usual because she wanted to make her team proud.

The team’s final record for the overall season was 16-1, Central Piedmont Conference Regular Season and Tournament Champions, Elite Eight in the 4A state tournament, and finished tied for 5th in the state (4A).

For such an unexpected season the team accomplished so much. Coach Balser praises the girls on the team for exceeding people’s expectations considering they are such a young team.

There are seven graduating seniors this season. Nine underclassmen will return to the team next year. 

“While it is always sad when it ends, it was a glorious season from start to finish,” Coach Balser said. “No coach could ask for a better group of girls than what we had this season.”