The National Football League MVP Race

Aaron Rodgers for the third time, Magic Mahomes for his second?

Tsion Saunders, Rooster Reporter

As the 2020-2021 NFL season comes to an end, conference championships games, the Pro Bowl, and the NFL honors have occurred. The Superbowl is scheduled to take place on Feb. 7.

However, the focus is the NFL honors. This NFL season has been full of injuries, doubts, and players having to sit out weeks because of Covid-19. It has been full of offensive stars, record-breaking history, and defensive studs.

This season there were 13 teams who had ten or more wins. The Pittsburgh Steelers breezed to an 11-0 start before losing their first game. The Cleveland Browns made the playoffs for the first time since 2002. 

An NFL Most Valuable Player will be named on Feb. 6. The NFL MVP is the highest award a player can earn in a season. It means that they are the best in the league for that year. Below is a list of the top ten candidates, according to NFL.com. 

1. Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay Packers
  2. Patrick Mahomes, QB, Kansas City Chiefs 
  3. Derrick Henry, RB, Tennessee Titans 
  4. Josh Allen, QB, Buffalo Bills 
  5. Alvin Kamara, RB, New Orleans Saints
  6. Russel Wilson, QB, Seattle Seahawks 
  7. Tom Brady, QB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 
  8. T.J Watt, OLB, Pittsburgh Steelers 
  9. Aaron Donald, DT, Los Angeles Rams
  10. Davante Adams, WR, Green Bay Packers   

Aaron Rodgers leads the list with 51 total touchdowns, with players like Davante Adams and Aaron Jones, it is no surprise he will be playing in his 6th Championship conference game looking for his second win in his career.

Patrick Mahomes is second on the list, going 14-2 in the regular season and beating the Cleveland Browns 22-17 in the divisional round. He is a strong contender. 

The award usually goes to the league’s top-tier quarterback, however, players like Derrick Henry, Davante Adams, Aaron Donald, Alvin Kamara, and T.J Watt have had remarkable seasons and make a case for earning the MVP award. 

¨I think the award should go to Alvin Kamara: he is a running back but is the most versatile running back in the league,” said sophomore Jalil Rogers, who plays basketball and football at Ronald Reagan High School. “He is basically another receiver. He had six touchdowns in one game.”

This year’s edition of the NFL Honors will be presented on CBS from the Straz Center in Tampa, Florida.