Next Level Bound

On+Nov.+11+seven+Reagan+athletes+signed+their+National+Letter+of+Intent+to+continue+their+athletic+careers+at+the+collegiate+level.+

On Nov. 11 seven Reagan athletes signed their National Letter of Intent to continue their athletic careers at the collegiate level.

Carson Keaton, Sports Editor

As a high school student athlete, the thought of being able to continue playing at the collegiate level is a huge accomplishment. On Nov. 11 seven student athletes from Reagan signed to continue their athletic careers at the next level. This signing date was for all sports other than basketball and football. 

On Friday, Nov. 13 the signers were able to bring family to Reagan to celebrate them signing their National Letter of Intent to play college athletics. 

Reece Alexander is a swimmer at Reagan. She signed her NLI to swim at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. Alexander is a USA Swimming Scholastic All American, eight time YMCA National Qualifier, three time Speedo Jr, National Qualifier, three time RHS swimming MVP, named three time Central Piedmont Conference (CPC) All Conference, and two time CPC Swimmer of the Year.

Spencer Baldwin was one of three track athletes continuing to college. Baldwin signed his NLI to run at Lincoln Memorial University in Harrogate, Tennessee. At Reagan Baldwin ran Track and Cross Country. Some of Baldwin’s Accomplishments are placing sixth in states in the indoor 1000m, going to states every year in cross country, and placing second place in the Central Piedmont Conference.

“I’m looking forward to being a part of the LMU family and to run in the mountains.” said Baldwin.

Maddie Burgiss is a field hockey player at Reagan. Burgiss signed her NLI to play at Belmont Abbey College.

“I’m most excited for the team atmosphere and being able to continue playing the sport I love.” said Burgiss.

Tommy Hawke was one of two baseball players to sign on Nov. 11. Hawke signed him NLI to play baseball at Wake Forest University. 

Josh Hartle was the other baseball player who signed. Hartle also signed his NLI to play baseball at Wake Forest University. Hartle’s accomplishments are Perfect Game 14U pitcher of the year, two Gold medals with the 15U U.S. National Team in 2017 and 2018 and NC All State team in 2019. He was invited to the East Coast Pro and Area Code games in 2020 and was selected to be a Perfect Game All American as well.

Gwen Parks is one of the track athletes that signed her NLI. Parks signed to run track at Cornell University. 

Samantha Troup is the third track athlete that signed on Nov. 11. Troup signed her NLI to run track at Liberty University. Troup’s accomplishments are two time 4×800 meter relay state champion, three time national qualifier in the 4×800 meter relay. North Carolina number two all time in the 4×800 meter relay, and holds the 4×800 meter relay record at Reagan.

“I’m looking forward to building strong friendships with my future teammates and getting to compete and train under a good D1 college program.” said Troup.

All of these athletes are part of the seven percent of high school athletes that continue their playing career in college. Each of them have put in the hard work and made the sacrifices to be able to earn this honor. We wish each one of them luck as they continue playing their sports in college and beyond.