Reagan senior Reece Alexander named Scholastic All-American Swimmer

Reece Alexander was recently named Scholastic All-American swimmer. Alexander is a senior on the Reagan swim team.

Courtesy of Reece Alexander

Anna Hunt, Rooster Reporter

After over a decade of hard work, 17-year old swimmer Reece Alexander was awarded the title of Scholastic All-American Swimmer by USA Swimming. The list was announced on Sept. 17, and the University of North Carolina Wilmington-bound senior was beyond excited. 

As Alexander’s most recent and most notable accomplishment, earning a Scholastic All-American Swimmer is attributed to her long years of dedication and perseverance.

“You can always push yourself harder,” said Alexander. “I used to be like, I’ll do it tomorrow, but now I’ve learned that today is yesterday’s tomorrow.”

Alexander’s swimming career began when she was a young girl taking basic swimming lessons at Long Creek pool over the summer. Eventually, she started swimming competitively year round. 

Many years later, in Alexander’s freshman year at Reagan, she tried out and made the Reagan swimming team, coached by Ryan Michel. She also swims competitively for her club pool, Tyde. Alexander has been swimming for Reagan ever since, but next fall, she will be swimming for The University of North Carolina Wilmington.

Prior to her commitment to swim for UNCW, Alexander had planned on swimming for East Carolina University. Unfortunately, the ECU athletic department cut the swimming program, so she was forced to go through the recruitment process again. 

“It was really annoying,” said Alexander. “But it all worked out, because I think God really wanted me to be at Wilmington.”

UNCW recently hired a new head swim coach, Bobby Guntoro, who had previously worked for NC State. He has coached many different Olympians, and Alexander is enthusiastic to work with him. Guntoro directly recruited Alexander in mid-July, and after communicating with him, she felt that UNCW was where she belonged. 

“He made me feel like it was the perfect place and I just knew that was where I was supposed to be.” said Alexander.

Her past notable achievements include qualifying for YMCA Nationals every year since eighth grade, making both state and regionals every year since her freshman year, and making the cut for Speedo Junior Nationals junior year, which ultimately led her to become a Scholastic All-American Swimmer.

As for the future, Alexander wants to become an occupational therapist at UNCW while she trains to make the NCAA Championships, which is a goal both she and Guntoro have for her. After college, she isn’t sure whether she’ll continue to pursue swimming, or if she’ll make a career off her major.

“Who knows,” said Alexander, “Maybe I’ll keep swimming after college. But my first goal is to make National Championships in college.”

Alexander is grateful to her parents, Melanie and Joseph Alexander for always supporting her, as well as her brother, Wilson Alexander, for motivating her through both the good and the bad. She also gives thanks to her club coach, Bob Jennings, who has pushed her to be the best she can be, and Reagan coach Ryan Michel for the opportunity to swim for Reagan.

Alexander also says that she’s grateful to have her teammates by her side.

“My teammates always push me to do my best; we race in practice, and really push each other.” said Alexander.

Alexander’s healthy mindset is what has kept her going throughout her years of swimming. Even when she works hard, she tells herself she can work harder. She knows she can push beyond her limits with enough effort and focus.

“You have to take advantage of every opportunity,” said Alexander. “That’s what I’ve learned from swimming.”