Online Editor-in-chief reflects on her experience at Reagan before she joins the Tar Heels

Molly Mullane, Online Editor-in-Chief

My first time at Reagan was as a naive, nervous freshman trying to make the field hockey team, which at the time was an almost totally new sport to me. I vividly remember the butterflies sitting in my stomach as I sat on the sidewalk listening to Coach Clay give instruction on how the tryouts would be run. I so badly wanted to make the team and even though I didn’t know much about the sport, I put forth my best effort.

Needless to say four years later, field hockey has made my experience at Reagan greater than I could have ever have imagined. Because of field hockey, I walked into Reagan the first day of my freshman year with several new friends. Having that group of girls made new classes seem not as scary, choosing which clubs to join easier or a place to sit at lunch that much more accessible. It made my transition to high school not seem as daunting as I had once envisioned it could be.

Field hockey has taught me so many important lessons. I have learned the value of friendship, time management and the idea that with practice anything is possible. I am going to miss the countless hours spent in the summer time spent training for in-season and the long bus rides to away games filled with a variety of music genres.

It is simply impossible to truly appreciate how much field hockey and the friendships made through this sport has impacted my time spent in high school.  

Because of my positive experience with field hockey, I was motivated to become more involved in all things Reagan. I decided to apply for the Rooster newspaper staff after enjoying my Intro to Journalism class.  At the time, I knew that I enjoyed writing and it would be a consistent place for the next three years for me to further develop my writing skills.

Through newspaper, I have expanded my comfort zone and my ability to talk to people who I do not know as well. I have learned how to interview people in some of the loudest places in the school and how one picture simply does not cut it for an article.

Newspaper was not always the easiest class, but I would never trade in the friendships made and laughs shared in rooms 424/623. I am certainly going to miss listening to the loud and sometimes what seemed like endless discussions about the Bachelor, Alex’s screaming goat toy and all the delicious food that came with NOM.

I could not write this senior goodbye without thanking all of my teachers for their eagerness to help better improve myself as both a student and a person. I am standing where I am today because of my teachers support and willingness to assist me both in and outside the classroom whether it was a simple math question or concept that I did not understand. I truly believe that my teachers have prepared and readied me for the next step.

I also would be remiss if I did not thank my family for their love and constant encouragement in my life. In my family, there has always been someone that I can lean on for advice in times of need and stress. My family has pushed me to my fullest potential to work hard and to achieve all my dreams that I lay out for myself. It will be strange not being around my family as much next year, but I know they are only a short drive or phone call away.

Although I am sad that my time at Reagan is officially drawing to a close, I could not be more excited to be a Tar Heel at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. All throughout high school, I have been working with the end goal to attend UNC-Chapel Hill, so it has been an absolute dream come true these past months to have been admitted. I am ready for the change and to meet so many new people.

It is hard to believe that in a few short months, I will officially be considered an alumni of  Reagan. I will forever treasure these past four years I have spent as a Raider and I will always consider Reagan home. When I look back at my time spent at Reagan, I will always be forever grateful for the memories created here and the person I have become.