Senior packs in final goodbyes before attending North Carolina State University

Alexis Carroll, Features Editor

My whole childhood, I watched many films and TV shows that depicted the dramatic and tumultuous lives of high school students. Whether I watched Disney Channel or the older films that my parents let me watch with them, I had been exposed to what my future high school career would be like.

With all of these other versions of high school in my head, I could not help but be ecstatic about “the most important years” of my life.

Little did I know that the vast majority of the upcoming class of 2019 at Reagan would be flooded in with students from middle schools I did not attend. Being from the other side of Pfafftown, I attended a middle school from which a small amount continues on to Reagan.

Although I enjoyed my time in middle school (for the most part lol), I partly resented the fact that I would start high school knowing only a handful of people.

At first, my high school experience was not the situation that I had always imagined myself. For most students, transitioning to high school is a challenge, but most come to find that high school really isn’t all that difficult. I came to find this true when I realized I was not alone and many other students were in the same position I was.

One thing I learned while here at Reagan is that strong friendships and bonds are often formed over shared struggles. Many of my friendships that have I created over these last four years have undeniably stemmed either from collective interests or bonding over how, although each situation unique, we all face the same challenges throughout high school.

Sophomore year, I decided I wanted to be get involved with journalism and continue on to the Newspaper staff. Despite all the challenges, stress and deadlines that at some points made me regret taking Newspaper, it overall was one of the best decisions I made.

To all my fellow Rooster staff members, thank you for all the memories, impromptu parties and loud class discussions that I will cherish looking back on my high school career.

To Alex Lee, who, by the way, is making me give her a shout out in my goodbye, you are truly the Newspaper GOAT and I will never forget the countless times we spent an entire class period playing Club Penguin (sorry Mrs. Overby).

Being on the Newspaper staff helped me blossom into the developed and skilled writer that I am today. It also encouraged me to branch out and not be afraid to try new things and learn from those experiences.

While at Reagan, I was involved with the dance department and numerous clubs which helped me meet new people and discover things I was passionate about.

Looking back on my time at Reagan, my fondest memories have undoubtedly been from the time I have spent involved with the Reagan dance department. I have honestly loved every minute of dancing in the humid dance room, learning fun combinations and of course, performing in dance concerts.

The bonds I have made with my teachers and fellow dancers will last a lifetime. Being involved in dance has been indubitably beneficial in evolving my personality and giving me the courage to do something I love in front of others.

As I say goodbye to Reagan, I think of all the people that have helped me become the person I am today and reach my full potential.

My teachers, of course, helped me grow as a student; even if that sometimes meant suffering through in-class essays, debates or tons of homework. Without their support, I probably would not have gotten into every college I applied to.

I want to thank my parents for instilling in me the ability to be apologetically me. If it wasn’t for my awesome family, I would not be the person I am today. They always pushed me to be the best person and work as hard as I possibly could. It is this unrelenting encouragement that now allows me to prosper on the pathway that is set before me as I continue beyond high school.

After high school, I plan to attend North Carolina State University (GO PACK!!!) and be either a Communications or Parks and Recreations Management major. I am obviously nervous about the next chapter of my life but it is comforting to know that I will always have the support of my family and friends.

Through my years as a student, I will have been a Wildcat, a Falcon and soon a part of the Wolfpack. One thing is for sure, being a Raider will always be something I cherish. Although my four, short years as a Raider flew by, I will always consider Pfafftown my home and Reagan my family.  

As I embark on the rest of my journey while keeping this Bible verse in mind: “But let those who love Him be like the sun. When it comes out in full strength,” Judges 5:31.