Teachers oppose lack of educational funding at State Capitol

Alexis Carroll, Features Editor

On May 1, educators from all over the state marched on downtown Raleigh. This march is to lobby for more educational funding from the state government.

The rally last May encouraged changes in last year’s educational funding budget, but was not effective enough to satisfy the need for a larger amount of money put aside for school systems. Due to the lack of funding, the North Carolina Associations of Educators organized another march to help secure a larger budget and meet the demands of outspoken ralliers.

The rally, organized by the NCAE, saw a vast increase in attendance, bringing in thousands people to march the streets of downtown Raleigh.

On May 1, over 30 school systems in North Carolina closed in lieu of the thousands of educators joining the march. Such counties include Davie County, Guilford County and Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools. Although Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools were closed to students on May 1, schools still ran as an optional teacher workday.

Even though some faculty, staff and students may have enjoyed their day off from school, others saw that the closing of schools because of the march was irresponsible and unbeneficial.

Mark Johnson, State Superintendent of Public Instruction said that he could not support the rally since it reduces instructional time for students (ABC 11 Eyewitness News.)

“It’s also about students’ nutrition,” Johnson said. “Some students need school nutrition to get the nutrition they need during the day.” Due to this concern, many schools opened for lunch in order to make sure students did not go hungry.

Johnsons however, was one of the many topics the school teacher’s protest signs talked about.

Throughout Johnson’s term as State Superintendent, he has been said to have launched numerous surveys that encouraged teacher and parent involvement in schools that turned out to be somewhat biased and unreliable.

Along with the superintendent, topics on the forefront of the march were annual teacher salaries, amount of mandated testing and gun violence.

In light of the recent University of North Carolina at Charlotte shooting, many teachers and supporters took this march as an opportunity to further push lawmakers to make stricter gun regulation laws to ensure the safety of all students.

Many ralliers wore green ribbons in remembrance of the victims of the UNCC shooting. Signs held up at the march mentioned that the shooting also brought up the need for increased funding for counseling in schools.

Although some state leaders were not in support of the rally, Governor Roy Cooper came and gave an impactful speech, before returning to UNCC to offer more support there.

“I know there is a lot of kickback and criticism from the general public, state leaders and even some teachers concerning the purpose and function of the rally, but ultimately for me, it’s an opportunity to recharge a sense of strength and hope surrounding this profession,” said English teacher Rebecca Martin.

North Carolina was not the only state that planned events lobbying for educational reasons.

Schools and teachers in South Carolina also marched on May 1 in Columbia, SC. Although only five districts were closed in SC and teachers would have to take a personal day, thousands managed to attend the rally and support the cause. The rallies are spreading all over the country as well. Portland, OR also hosted a march in support the demands of schools, students, and teachers.

Although further discussions will be needed to finalize the demands of the marchers, one cannot deny the impact that the thousands of teachers, staff and supporters had on lawmakers and the education system as a whole.

“Adequate funding is at the center of a successful education system and education is the cornerstone of a successful society,” said Martin. “If we are providing the best possible experience in school and equal opportunities for all students, then we are ensuring a brighter future for everyone.”