• November 28The Reagan Rooster wishes everyone a happy Holiday!

• November 28There will be an early release at 1:40 p.m. on Dec. 12

• August 31Follow the Rooster @ReaganRooster on instagram

Senior-led Volleyball squad poised for another stellar season

Reagan volleyball is looking for a 4th straight trip to the regional finals.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Varsity designated setter, Bailey Presley serves the ball against Northern Guilford.  Both Reagan teams defeated the Nighthawks on Sept. 24.

Varsity designated setter, Bailey Presley serves the ball against Northern Guilford. Both Reagan teams defeated the Nighthawks on Sept. 24.

Sam Graham, Sports Editor

The Reagan volleyball team has been one of the most consistently successful teams in the school. Aside from a trip to the 4A state championship two years ago, where the girls lost to Green Hope by a score of 3 sets to 1, the team has won ten conference championships. They also won the regional championship in 2016.
This team is an older group than Reagan has had in recent years.
“This is definitely one of the oldest teams we’ve had,” head coach Doug Balser said. “We have 14 kids on the team and eight of them are seniors.”
This game experience is something that should work to the advantage of the Reagan team this year.
“Several of these seniors were on the team that went to the state championship two years ago and the varsity team that went to the regional finals last year,” Balser said.
The volleyball team has gone to the regional championship game for three straight years now and the senior-led team is hungry to return for a fourth win. The team captains this year are Whitney Ward and Jenna Robbins, both seniors.
“Some of our other seniors like Maddie Winning and Grace DeLong have really taken on a leadership role this season,” Balser said.
Good teams have to be able to play together and enjoy doing so. This volleyball team is no exception.
“This year’s group is full of excitement and energy,” senior Jenna Robbins said. “Every person on the team brings a different type of energy and combined, our court presence is outstanding.”
As the season starts to wind down Reagan (20-4) is preparing for the postseason. The Raiders are coming off a big win on October 15 against Davie to win the CPC regular season championship.
“The Davie game was extremely important to us because we were playing for the chance to win another conference championship,” senior Whitney Ward said. “To be able to beat them on their home court, on their senior night and bring home the championship was a huge win for our team and our school.”
The Raiders are set to play against Lake Norman in the second round of the NCHSAA 4A state playoffs on Thursday, October 25
“Our team goal this season has been to win every match we play, and to continue to improve as a team,” said Ward. “The goal moving forward is to focus on winning the next match, and to keep advancing until we win the state championship.”

About the Writer
Sam Graham, Sports Editor

I’m Sam Graham. I’m a junior and this is my second year on the newspaper staff. I run cross country and track for the school and I swim. I love to...