Standout Senior: Amaya Tucker

Rily Bellias, Features Editor

Most people know senior Amaya Tucker for her talent playing basketball, but she has other outstanding qualities notes by the American Sign Language Teacher Lauren Bailey.

“I have had Amaya for both ASL I and ASL II,” Bailey said.  “She is just a fun student to be around. She is hardworking and committed to her school work along with sports, but one thing that I enjoy most about her is that no one is a stranger to her. She is great with working in groups with peers and constantly gives off a positive vibe.  Amaya has a way of making others feel comfortable, even the most shy of us. She has never met a stranger. ”

Amaya has a way of making everyone feel like they belong, a quality not everyone possesses.  In school it is easy to go to your own group of friends and not really pay attention to others.  Other times it is easy to find yourself changing in order to conform with how everyone else is, but it is different for Amaya.

“To all the incoming freshmen I would say don’t try to fit in with a certain crowd, just be yourself,” Tucker said.  “Don’t change anything about yourself to try to make people like you.”

It is important to be able to work in groups not only in a classroom setting but also when playing a team sport.  Tucker shows that support both in basketball and in her classrooms.

“Amaya was a leader on and off the court,” said junior Katie Cothran.  “I am going to not only miss everything that she has taught me about basketball, but also her fun personality.”

It can be difficult to work in groups because of all of the different ideas.  Some people do everything themselves, while for others it is a group effort.

“Communication is a big factor in working with team or group,” Tucker said.  “It helps you get the task done easier and more efficiently.”

In particular, in Bailey’s sign language class, there are some characteristics that really stand out about Tucker.

“She stands out in my class because of her effort,” Bailey said.  “Not only in her presentations and her interpreting skills, but she is just such a people person and works really well with her peers. It is great as a teacher to watch students who put in that effort to include other students and get everyone involved.”

Through having Tucker as a student for two years now, Bailey has been able to see her change and grow as a person.  Teachers see traits and abilities in students not everyone gets the chance to see from being in their presence from day to day.

“I am not sure if most people know or not, but she has rhythm,” Bailey said.  “When we sign songs, she always puts on a show. We recently did song projects and her group chose to interpret the ‘Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’ theme. It was hilarious to watch.”

Tucker plans on attending Winston-Salem State University in the fall.  There she will continue her basketball career.

“She is hardworking, dedicated, outgoing, athletic, and just committed to anything she sets her mind to,” Bailey said.  “In general, we have gotten to know each other very well, and I know that she is going to excel in everything she does. I am excited to see where life takes her in the future.”