Winter Olympics are quickly approaching

Getty Images

PyeongChang features the Olympic rings at the entrance at the town of Hoenggye. The Olympics will be held from Feb. 9 through Feb. 25

Alex Lee, News Editor

The new year is approaching fast and so are the long-awaited Winter Olympics.  After four years of waiting, the 2018 Winter Olympics are coming to PyeongChang, South Korea, from Feb. 9 through Feb. 25.

PyeongChang was announced the host of the 2018 Winter Olympics on July 6, 2011 and will be South Korea’s first Winter Olympics.  PyeongChang will host around 90 countries and approximately 100 events ranging from curling to speed skating.  They will also be hosting the 2018 Paralympic Winter Games from March 9 through March 18.

With a new mixture of culture, the tradition of the Olympic Torch Relay will run throughout approximately 15 cities within the Republic of Korea.  Pyeong Chang’s goal is to provide an opportunity for visiting countries to experience and learn about important and meaningful landmarks throughout the country.

Along with this new mix of culture comes new additions to the games.  One aspect of the Games is its mascot, Soohorang, which took its origin from the white tiger.  This mascot is significant to Korean culture as a symbol of power and protection.

Another unique aspect of the 2018 Games will be the new medals.  Designer Lee Suk-woo designed these new medals that have a unique tree trunk-like design, representing the dedication that has gone into putting these games together.

These new additions to the Olympics also include the most significant introduction of six new events.  These events include Alpine team skiing, mixed doubles curling, speed skating mass start for both men and women, and speed skating mass start for both men and women.

“I am excited to watch the new events,” said freshman Hannah Boyte.  “I love watching speed skating and getting to see a new event for it will be even better.”

PyeongChang has recently introduced a new method of transportation for the Winter Olympics–the Korean Train Express.  The KTX is a high-speed train, similar to a monorail, that will be open to the public on Dec. 22.  

The KTX is scheduled to efficiently transport over 20,000 passengers each day from stadium to stadium during the Olympics.

As these new additions have shed light on the positive aspects of the games, there is no doubt that there are negative aspects as well.  Many issues have been arising in regard to the Winter Games, which adds more stress to PyeongChang and how they are managing to get everything prepared.  

On Dec. 5, the International Olympic Committee announced that Russia will be banned from the 2018 Winter Olympics.  After the I.O.C. investigated the ongoing doping issue in Russia, they came to the decision to ban the nation from the Games.

The Russian flag will not be flown during the opening ceremony, Russian government officials are not allowed to attend, the Russian anthem will not play, and those who are allowed to compete will only be able to wear a neutral uniform.

Another issue arising is the National Hockey League and how they are not allowing their players to compete in the Winter Olympics.  In April, the NHL announced that the Olympics disrupt their regular hockey season and takes away from the 17-day break each player is required to have during February.  

After the release of this statement from the NHL, players have begun protesting against this arising issue.  Many players have stressed they will still participate regardless of the league’s stance on this problem.

“As a native of Canada and a huge fan of watching hockey, to hear that the NHL has pulled out of the competition really saddens me,” junior Gabby Gingras said.  “Whenever the Winter Olympics are on, hockey seems to be the main sport to earn us medals.”

One of the smaller yet important problems South Korea is facing are the financial issues that are rising.  After having some delays with construction and slow early ticket sales, South Korea is around 250 million dollars short of the 2.4-billion-dollar expense.

While this is an important issue that could hurt PyeongChang, they are hoping they are able to meet their budget as majority of Olympic fans will purchase their tickets closer to Feb.

Safety is also a huge rising concern with the games.  As tensions have increased in North Korea lately, PyeongChang has begun to make any safety precautions necessary to ensure that the Winter Olympics are not in harm’s way.

As if North Korea’s actions were not serious before, they sure are now.  South Korean President Moon Jae-in is reaching out to Chinese President Xi Jinping in hopes of gaining China’s support in ensuring safety while hosting the Winter Olympics.

As PyeongChang is preparing for the final few weeks before the Winter games, they are working incredibly hard to ensure everything is close to perfect.  There is no doubt that they are doing all they can to meet the high expectations of the Olympic fans.

“I am so excited for the Winter Olympics,” sophomore David Welcome said. “I love watching curling because it is so under-appreciated.”