Reagan senior gains popularity on SoundCloud

Annelise Marsh

Senior Tyre Holmes listens to his own music on a Reagan bench. Holmes produces music on SoundCloud under the name Black Titan.

Annelise Marsh, Sports Editor

SoundCloud is a website where anyone can “upload, record, promote and share” original music to the public for free. The website has been used as a starter platform for artists to gain exposure towards their music. Known names such as Lil Uzi Vert have started careers on this platform, and senior Tyre Holmes is trying to do just that.

Holmes began creating music in the 7th grade following the discovery of a “little camera mic and some beats” on his computer.

“I started listening to hip hop a lot and got in rap battles with my friends,” Holmes said. “At first I copied the styles of artists, but as I continued, I developed my own style.”

As Holmes’ music developed, he needed to create an identity for himself to portray on SoundCloud, so he decided on the name Black Titan.

“My name just came to me,” Holmes said. “It’s more original than a ‘young’ or ‘lil’ name and I made it to be different from other artists.”

As Black Titan, Holmes uploads hip-hop and rap music that anyone can listen to.

“My most popular songs right now are ‘Wake Up,’ ‘Go Down’ and ‘Foul Play,’ but my favorite one is ‘The Come Up,’” Holmes said. “I want people to know that I have music for everyone on my projects.”

“Wake Up” has received over 600 plays on the website over three months, but most impressively, “Go Down” has gotten over 200 plays in under a month.

Music is more than just a hobby to Holmes. He is always looking to improve and work on his music.

“Music is a pretty big part of my life; I’m constantly working on it and listening to it and making new songs,” Holmes said.

Holmes also collaborates with other artists for his music, including Reagan students Go Nard, Ayo Skoot, Young Reid and Lora Mouna.

“Partnering with other people [for music] is one of my favorite things to do,” said Holmes.

It is hard to be recognized in the music industry, but SoundCloud provides a public domain for striving artists to display their music. With stories of big-time names achieving their  success through using sites like SoundCloud, it is a goal for many on the site, including Holmes, to someday be recognized for their work and progress their music beyond free online sharing.

“I hope to be able to one day perform places and sell my music on different platforms like iTunes,” Holmes said.

Holmes hopes to pursue a music career after high school.

Artists can upload covers and remixes of songs, but SoundCloud is mainly a platform for artists to create original music that speaks their ideas and who they are. It is a way for them to find their true sound.

“I write all of my songs,” Holmes said. “I just play a beat and let it go from there. The only way to describe my music is by saying that it’s a new wave.”

Though making music comes easily to Holmes, he’s been doing it for a long time and stuck with it.

“I love music, it’s a way to put my life experience and paint it onto a track,” Holmes said.