“Stranger Things” returns with a bang

The+second+season+of+Netflixs+hit+original+show+does+not+disappoint+fans+

strangerthings.wiki.com

The second season of Netflix’s hit original show does not disappoint fans

Mary-Kate Appanaitis, Print Editor-in-Chief

It’s hard to find anyone who hasn’t at least heard of “Stranger Things” in the past month. From interviews with the cast all over the internet, countless reviews from critics, and Halloween costumes based on the main characters, “Stranger Things” has had a strong presence.

The second season of the Netflix original series premiered on Oct. 27, with an average of 15.8 million viewers tuning in to the first episode, according to INGages.com. The show, which first premiered in October 2016, has had immensely positive reactions coming from all demographics, and has become a household name.

Set in the 80’s, the science-fiction show revolves around a group of young boys who team up with a mysterious, powerful girl in an attempt to rescue their friend who has disappeared into an evil, second dimension known as the “Upside Down.”  The show is becoming well known not only for its unique plot, but also for the talented young actors being featured, such as Millie Bobby Brown, Finn Wolfhard, and Gaten Matarazzo, who star as the main characters.

But what has gotten everyone so excited about this series?

“Stranger Things” is a program that seemingly has a little something for everyone–frequent comic relief for those looking for a laugh, romantic subplots for those who are more interested in dramas, action and adventure for people seeking a thrill, and enough mystery to keep the viewers on the edge of their seats.

“The story is unique and unpredictable,” said senior Paige McDowell. “It’s centered around community and friendship, which I love.”

Many students are drawn to the personalities in both the show and in the actors who portray the main characters.

“The writers made all of the characters so real and relatable,” said freshman Havanna Merriman. “The story is just so fascinating.”

The show’s variety is part of what draws such a large audience, and what helps it reach such a wide range of demographic groups. Teachers and students alike are wrapped up in the “Stranger Things” hype.

“I really like it because it reminds me of my childhood,” said John Kirby, AP Human Geography teacher at Reagan. “The nostalgia of being a kid in the eighties makes the show really fun to watch for me, and I also enjoy the mystery aspect of it.”

The suspense in the show is part of what can make the series so addicting to watch.

“It’s most definitely a binge-worthy show,” said senior Alexa Greenwood. “The characters are super funny, and it’s completely different than anything on Netflix.”

As interesting as the events in the plot can be, the science fiction also captures the attention and fascinates the audience.

“I like the idea of parallel dimensions that that they show and the pseudoscience that’s involved with it,” said Austin Robertson, who teaches Exploring Alternative Energies at the Career Center. “It’s funky.”

While students may not be able to relate directly to the 80’s, they still appreciate the setting.

“I really love how different it is from anything on the air these days,” McDowell said. “It has such a wonderful nostalgia to it, which makes you forget about the craziness that is in our world today and appreciate the little things.”

Although there has not been an official release date set for the third season, “Stranger Things” is expected to return in late 2018. Fans will be eagerly waiting for the third installment in the show.