Pajama Day is the Best Day

Alex Lee, News Editor

As a kid, I owned over 15 pairs of pajamas ranging from onesies to flannel pants to robes, and I never wanted to change out of them.  I would dance, eat, and even go out in public wearing them.

But eventually I had to face the reality that I was growing up and I needed to wear real clothes.  Pajamas have always provided me with comfort and if it was my decision, I would never change out of them.  

When I went to Vienna Elementary School for kindergarten, I soon realized that they had special days with themes that students could participate in.  Among these days was Pajama Day, and I felt like I had won the jackpot.  

There was finally a day that I could feel comfy in my pjs without worrying about being made fun of or getting yelled at.

High school is a completely different story.  America Day, Character Day and Flannel Day are just a few of the Spirit Days many participate in at Reagan.  There is one problem with all of these days: none of them are as great as the honorable pajama day.

“Pajama Day is the best because you can sleep in what you wear to bed and then wake up the next day for school without having to change,” said sophomore Lainey Williamson.

Excitement for Spirit Week builds up when an announcement is made each year before the week of homecoming, letting students know which themes they have chosen.  

We can all recall a time when we have heard students saying, “Yes!  Pajama Day” or “I am so excited for Pajama Day.” You rarely ever hear someone say, “I don’t want to do Pajama Day,” because everyone loves it.

There are so many positive factors that go into Pajama Day.  Who wouldn’t want to get out of bed and go to school without worrying about changing out of pajamas?  Also, you get to whip out the classic flannel pajama pants everyone adores.

As students, we face stress, anxiety, and discomfort every day of our lives and begin to give up on looking nice.  With Pajama Day no one cares what you look like because everyone else has the same idea–to be comfy.

As for teachers, many of them enjoy seeing the students take part in pajama day but prefer not to participate themselves.

“I like pajama days for the students,” said art teacher Karen Evans.  “I do not think teachers should participate, especially me, because wearing pajamas would make me want to go home and sit on the sofa with a good book.”

When you wear pajamas, you feel a sense of security and comfort which can be associated with home.  Yes, I know, no one feels homey at school but when you throw on pajamas, it just makes everything better.  It is as simple as that.  

Some students do take a different approach on pajama day and participate in… the onesie fiasco.  Let’s be real, though.  Onesies seem very uncomfortable and hot, but there is no denying that everyone loves to admire the different animals and patterns featured on these pajamas.

Whether it be in a onesie or simply some pants, Pajama Day is one day out of the year where you feel at home in the midst of all the stress.  Everyone should participate because it is simply the best stress reliever.