Standing in the Hall of Fame

Erin Trowbridge

Inductee Craig Engels chats with current track and cross country Coach Eric Fritz.

Erin Trowbridge, Rooster Reporter

On Friday, Oct. 6, Reagan introduced three new inductees into the Reagan Hall of Fame. They were each chosen based on their outstanding performance in what they have done for the school.

“It’s absolutely important to recognize those individuals who went beyond the norm,” said principal Brad Royal.

Reagan’s Hall of Fame began in 2015, so many don’t know about it as it’s fairly new.

Former student from the Class of 2012 and Hall of Fame inductee Craig Engels was inducted for his performance in running during and after his time at Reagan.

“I didn’t know they were gonna do it [the Hall of Fame] at all,” Engels said. “I was a little reluctant, I’m like maybe it’s fake.”

Engels attended North Carolina State University and the University of Mississippi. This past summer in June he went pro, joining the Nike Oregon Project, a training program for professional runners.

Coming in first in any meet is hard, but making Olympic Time Trials doesn’t happen everyday. It is not something that happens for everyone in any sport, and Engels qualified in the 800 and 1500 meters.

“The Olympic Trials last year were one of my most fun experiences,” Engels said. “My last memory,” on a team, “was in college, and our team won Nationals.”

“How many athletes come through a school and get the opportunity to do that?” Royal said.

Engels upcoming goals are to compete and medal in the 2019 World Championships, and qualify for the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

Dennis Beauchamp was inducted for his time spent volunteering at Reagan. He was vice president of the Booster Club from 2011-2013 and president from 2013-2016. He spent time volunteering after his daughters graduated in 2015.

“I have a passion for Reagan and just giving back to the community, and this was my family so I enjoyed every single second of it,” Beauchamp said.

Beauchamp still treats Reagan like his original family. He developed the Betting on Reagan fundraising campaign and led the annual golf tournament this past spring.

Megan Davis Parlow was inducted for her contributions while teaching at Reagan. She painted a mural in the gym of a Raider on a horse busting through the wall. She also created the Reagan “R” stencil for the football field and the baseball dugouts.

Dinah Reece was the one who contacted Parlow about being inducted. She is a past Hall of Fame inductee, and a mentor to teachers including Parlow. Being nominated herself gave her the knowledge of what it takes to be in the Hall of Fame.

“Dinah Reece contacted me and told me that she was putting me in the nomination, but I was surprised,” Parlow said.

Reagan is the reason the inductees were brought back home. This is where Parlow became Reagan’s first art teacher and Engels became familiar with his passion and talent to run.

Inductee Megan Davis Parlow and Dinah Reece listen to a speech before dinner.

“This was the place that I really started getting into teaching,” Parlow said.

The Hall of Fame offers a reason for past students and teachers to come back. Being busy doesn’t always give them that free time to come home and remember where it started.

“I haven’t been back to Reagan since I graduated,” Engels said.

Their pictures will hang on the wall for years to come, along with other past inductees. These are the people who represent what Reagan stands for.

“It’s such an honor on our part to recognize those individuals that have went beyond,” Royal said. “All three of them are just extraordinarily amazing people.”