Undeniable passion, undeniable bond

Varsity baseball team shows their success as a team this season

Alex Lee, Rooster Reporter

Dedication and commitment are just two of the many qualities that each sports team at Reagan tries to uphold.  Whether it be practice, a game or a tournament, each team is taught to put in the effort to maintain a healthy team.

Both the junior varsity and varsity baseball teams are strong examples of players who work hard and play hard.  Based on the regular season and conference records for both teams, it is clear they have the mentality to stay on top.

Within their conference, the varsity team has been able to defeat major rivals Mount Tabor, West Forsyth and Reynolds.  Along with their victories, they have suffered a fair share of losses which includes their second conference game against West Forsyth.

Throughout the current season, the varsity team had many outstanding games that lead them to where they are now.  Two games in particular have resonated with players as they contributed to their astounding conference record.  

The first game in the spotlight was on March 7, when junior Avery Chunn brought in the game winning runner with his base hit, earning Reagan a 4-3 win over Mount Tabor.  

The second game in the spotlight was the first 4-A conference game against West Forsyth on April 18.  The Raiders scored five runs in the fifth inning and seven runs in the sixth inning, only giving up two runs to the Titans.  This led them to run rule West Forsyth with a final score of 12-2.

Like varsity, the JV team was able to defeat major rivals as well.  As the varsity team continues to shine in their conference and regular season, the JV team has showed their improvement as a team.

“Both teams have played really well this season and the main reasons for that are strong work ethics and a ‘team first’ mentality,” said sophomore Sam Mackie.

Most players that have an undeniable passion for a sport want to continue to pursue it for as long as they can.  For baseball that is certainly the case, as there have been three seniors that have committed to playing baseball in college next year.  These players include Noah Lawson (St. Andrews University), Garrett Saylor (East Carolina University) and Will Sprinkle (Appalachian State University).

“Being signed is a dream come true and hard work does pay off,” senior Noah Lawson said.  “ I am so glad to have support from my family every step of the way.”

It’s true that each player deserves credit for how well they have played throughout the season, but the coaches deserve acknowledgement as well.  They are the ones who take the time out of their days and dedicate it to helping each player improve their skills.  Their selflessness to the sport is what helps shape players into developing a strong IQ for the game.

The varsity team has the record of 15-8 overall and a record of 9-3 within the conference.  The JV team is currently 12-5 overall with a record of 6-3 in the conference.

“We have had a good season so far,” varsity coach Gary Nail said.  “The players have worked hard and hope to make a deep playoff run. We still have a lot of baseball to be played and I hope they will keep the same focus they have had all season.”