The show that has people talking

“13 Reasons Why” rises tremendously in social volume after one week on Netflix

Alex Lee, Rooster Reporter

Tears, anger and mixed emotions have erupted in response to the Netflix original series “13 Reasons Why”, which premiered on March 31.  This show has become a worldwide topic of discussion.  People who have yet to view this show have more than likely already heard about it due to all the hype it is receiving.

“13 Reasons Why” has been named the most popular show on social media in 2017 as it rose to 3.5 million in social volume after its first week on Netflix.  Social volume refers to the impression people receive from a certain event and share it on social media.  The big question is what makes this show in particular so popular?

“I saw it a lot on Instagram and Twitter so I thought ‘why not?’ and I began to watch it,” said freshman Emily Hatcher.

It is very clear that social media is a breeding ground for “13 Reasons Why” to gain popularity and reel in more viewers, especially when one of the executive producers, Selena Gomez, is already well-known in the music industry.  

One of the biggest factors that adds to the popularity of the show is the number of those who have read the book.  In 2007, author Jay Asher published “13 Reasons Why”, which received much attention and became a best-selling young-adult fiction novel.  

Many of those who had read Asher’s book were ecstatic to find out that it was being transformed into a show.  The show has received some negative responses from readers as they believe the show has strayed from the plot development in the book.  Many positive responses have poured in as well.

Another big factor that makes this show so popular is its relevance to the viewers and the common problems some high school students are faced with.  The crew told viewers at the end of the season that they were trying to purposely make it painful to watch so viewers get a sense of what their peers or what they themselves are experiencing.

“Many people these days are experiencing what Hannah did and it shows how serious and tragic it can turn out to be,” said junior Ethan Farmer.

Along with the popularity it has gained, the response it has received from some viewers has caused some controversy.  Some believe that the show is romanticizing suicide, while others believe that it is trying to raise awareness about suicide.

As mentioned before, the bonus episode at the end of the season depicts the cast and crew and ways to seek help and additional background information on mental health.  The point they try to get across is that everyone is responsible for their own actions and that being kind to someone can go a long way.  Their intentions were clearly not to glorify suicide or turn it into a game, as some viewers believed.

“13 Reasons Why” has had some chart topping records and continues to stay on top of those charts as more and more people begin to watch it.  Not only will its popularity increase, but so will the comments and discussions that anyone can easily see on all social media sites.  

“It has to be one of my all time favorite shows, and I am hoping that they decide to make a season two,” sophomore Madeline Cunningham said.

Although the target audience for “13 Reasons Why” is teenagers, that hasn’t stopped teachers at Reagan from becoming involved with the show.

“I just started watching “13 Reasons Why”, and let me just say that it is pretty intense to watch,” health teacher Jason Smith said.

The cast and crew of “13 Reasons Why” have responded to the viewers and the questions they have been seeking the answers to, and there has been confirmation for a second season.  Once again there is controversy with those who believe certain questions should be left unanswered and those who believe they should be answered.  Viewers who have been anticipating a second season are ecstatic and on the edge of their seats.