Spirit Club raises money with dodgeball tournament

Maria Lovato

Senior Tristan Ferner prepares to throw a ball during the dodgeball tournament. He was a member of the team “Returning Champions.”

Maria Lovato, Print Editor-In-Chief

To most Reagan students, April 28 was just another Friday. But to those students and faculty participating in the dodgeball tournament, it was “Game Day.” The dodgeball tournament, which was organized by the Spirit Club, found success in the excitement and pep of those involved.

The tournament consisted of nine total teams of six players each, including one team of  teachers and one team consisting of Reagan’s football coaches. Teams were allowed to choose their own team theme song and even team name, and most got very creative. Team names included “LAX Rats,” “Detroit’s Finest” and “Average Joes.”

The atmosphere inside the main gym where the tournament was held was one of energy and fun as players got more and more competitive. Many spectators came to watch the games. The tournament was single elimination, and a total of eight games were played. Although the competition was fierce, at the end of the championship game, only one team stood victorious: the Head Hunters, consisting of seniors Reynolds Craver, Joseph Steen, JT Timberlake, Chad Lynch, Hunter Mitchell and Ethan Fisher.

Thinking of new and different ways to fundraise can be tricky. The dodgeball tournament was a perfect way to have fun while also raising money. The price for spectators was $1, and the money went toward the Backpack Program at Vienna Elementary School.

“The Backpack Program provides weekend meals to underprivileged children who depend on school cafeterias for their meals,” senior Chloe Cope said. “It is a great program to raise money for.”

As a member of the Spirit Club, Cope helped by reffing the games, alongside fellow seniors and refs Abby Ross, Maggie Krier and Delaney Fay. The rules of the game were standard: if you get hit by a ball, or someone on the other team catches a ball you threw, you are out. The first team to have all of its players get out, loses.

Freshman Simon Michel played on team Average Joes.

“I didn’t think we would get out as quickly as we did, but overall the tournament was a lot of fun and for a great cause,” Michel said.