Welcome to your tape ’13 Reasons Why’

Morgan Dancy, Rooster Reporter

“Hey, its Hannah, Hannah Baker here, that’s right and adjust what ever device you are hearing this on. It’s me live and in stereo. No return engagements. No encores. And this time absolutely no requests. Get a snack and settle in. I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically the story of how my life ended.” Does this sound familiar?

If not, does sitting in class hearing “I just finished watching this episode, how far are you?” or “I just finished the show. You need to watch it, it gets better from the beginning.” It is all that I have been hearing. Have you heard about the show “13 reasons Why”?

The Netflix original series is supposed to bring attention to suicide prevention. If you have looked through social media, there is an array of “13 Reasons Why” fan and hater pages. You have also seen memes that have surfaced about the show.

Seven tapes, 13 episodes, all about the relationships between Clay Jensen (Dylan Minnette) and Hannah Baker (Katherine Langford). The show was easy to get caught up in. It was almost a mystery to find the reasons for why she killed herself but some of them did not deserve to be on the tape.

We know bullying goes on, and so does cyberbullying. We are taught, in school, how to stop it and how to prevent it. In the past, there have been movies and shows about it. In “Cyberbullying,” we see what happens to Taylor Hillridge in the movie. We saw what the plastics were like in “Mean Girls.” So even though “13 Reasons Why” is made to show that bullying may go on whether we notice it or not, but so have these other shows. It’s not an original plot. Yes, these other movies and TV shows are older but they are still out there to watch.

“13 Reasons Why” shows us the signs of someone who may be suicidal or causing self harm, but the internet, parents, teachers, guidance counselors, or any adult are there for you to go to if you feel like one of your friends is going through this.

“Watching ‘13 Reasons’ causes me to feel down and depressed,”  junior Emily Doub said. “It also does not accurately portray teen depression and teen suicide.”

The show is for mature audiences, and if you do not like a lot of cursing in a short period of time, then this show is not for you. The show makes high school look like it is nothing but partying, drinking, smoking and cursing.

The stereotypes of students in high school is beyond comprehension. You have the jocks that are annoying, the nerd, the bad boy that is mysterious in a leather jacket driving an old-timey car, all very stereotypical. Everything about the show is very planned out as another common high school bullying story.

The show is considered very messed up because a dead girl goes after people who have messed up her life as revenge. The people are the 13 reasons why she killed herself. You may be thinking “Isn’t that implied in the title?” My is response yes, but it is still messed up because the characters now live with the guilt growing inside of them. Some of the characters already seemed to be unsteady and emotional, this adding on top of it makes some of the characters suicidal.

If she just spoke up to someone who seemed to care about her, she could have gotten help or feel better about herself. The show makes it look like only those few kids were the only kids in the school. You never hear of the other kids in the class. Couldn’t they see what was going on with Hannah Baker, or could they done something as well and their tapes were never made?

What is bothering a lot of people about the show is that, it was a book first and has been out trying to make a difference since 2007 and just now people are only watching it because it is the ‘it’ thing to do because everyone else is watching it. The “has been” fans have been trying to make an awareness of the Clay Jensen and Hannah Baker story for a while now. What is sad is people want another season of this heartbreaking story but it’s a book there cannot be “Another 13 Reasons Why” or “14 more Reasons Why.”

“I don’t watch ‘13 Reasons Why’ because I don’t need any more stress,” junior Claire Atwood said.

Majority of people not wanting to watch it, are people who are recovering or recovered from self-harming. They watch it and compare their story to Hannah Baker’s. It brings back memories from that time period. It brings back the anxiety and the stress that they were put through.

“It’s a show with a message, but there’s better things to do in life than watching a show knowing that the girl is already dead,”  junior Ismael Valdez said.

Hannah Baker herself says, “You can’t go back to how things were. How you thought they were. All you have is now.”