• April 18Powder Puff will be on Friday May 25

• April 18No school on May 28 for Memorial Day

• March 6April 25th is an early release day

Appreciating Reagan’s arts department

Molly Mullane, Rooster Reporter

As the last few weeks of the school year approach, one event Reagan students can look forward to is the Reagan spring dance concert. This performance is not only one of the best in the county but also provides quality entertainment that can be enjoyed by many. In addition to these proponents, by attending the dance concert one can come to further appreciate the school’s successful arts program.

Although Reagan isn’t an arts-based magnet school like Reynolds, it has just as much to offer in the arts department.  There is something for everyone to find their niche at Reagan.

Being a student who took dance to fulfill my physical education credit, I received so much more than just the associated credits. I met some of my closest friends through my Dance 1A class.  Also, I found dance to be a stress reliever among my classes for both years.  

Among the many arts programs Reagan has to offer, band is one of the most successful.  Reagan’s marching band is one of the most awarded in the state.  Students who are a part of the marching band are some of the most hardworking and talented musicians that I know.  When fall sports begin Aug. 1, marching band has already been practicing tirelessly — all day, in the heat — for already two weeks before.  

Theatre is also another very talented aspect of Reagan arts.  During the school year these students come together to perform a play in the fall and a musical in the spring.  It is another art that takes lots of dedication to perfect a play or any acting situation to its finest quality.

Reagan is also fortunate to have a chorus program with many different opportunities for people who might have an interest in an a cappella group and the Reagan First Ladies.   These two programs offer the opportunity to express yourself through singing.  

When you attend any Reagan arts concert you’re not only going to support your friends, you are coming to show support to the many students who have worked so long to perfect their performance. It’s not easy to get on stage and sing, dance or act. Art students have confidence beyond many and I think it is something everyone should experience.

“People at Reagan should support the arts programs just like sports programs because at Reagan we have a talented group of students that are in the choral program and also in the theater program,” senior Matthew Barrett said. “They really do put on spectacular musicals and plays.”

It is so important that Reagan students make sure to support the arts programs like band, theater, dance, art and chorus.  These students work so hard to perfect their final masterpieces for others to see and enjoy.  

“Art is in everything we do,” dance teacher Amanda Cook said, “so we need to develop our art department and students.”

At Reagan we also have the privilege of having art classes. We should take advantage of these types of creative classes to get a chance to express ourselves in our everyday life. You can never fully appreciate art, until you have experienced it yourself.

“Art is a way for high school students to express themselves with a lot of different mediums and elevate their skills,” Reagan art teacher Karen Evans said.  “I see students here growing tremendously from the beginning of the year to the end of year.”

I encourage you to expand your knowledge of Reagan’s art program.  Don’t let art go unappreciated. There is so much more to art than just what you see with your eyes. `

“Everything you hear, see and watch in the world has art in it,” Cook said.  “So much of what we experience comes from some type of creative thought or creative expression.  We need to support art not in school but outside of school and in our bigger community.”