Head Men’s Basketball Coach, Jeff Overby, steps down after seven seasons

Sam Graham, Layout Editor

On March 18, one of Reagan High School’s longest tenured coaches, decided it was time to step down. 

Men’s basketball head coach, Jeff Overby has been a part of Reagan’s basketball program since the school opened in 2005. He began his time as an assistant to the program’s first coach, Howard West. When West left in 2013 to take over the head coaching position at Forsyth Country Day, Overby stepped to the helm of Reagan’s program.

Overby has achieved his fair share of success as the head coach at Reagan. He led the team to two Central Piedmont Conference titles, the tournament title in 2014 and the regular-season title in 2015, as well as the 2014 Frank Spencer Tournament title.

It was Overby’s impact and conduct off the court that meant the most to the players, fellow faculty members, and himself.

“By far the proudest moments I’ve had as a coach have been watching young people grow into mature, upstanding men, many of whom I’ve heard from when it was announced I was stepping down,” Overby said. “I was touched by that.”

The news was first broken in a tweet from Overby and the tweet quickly garnered dozens of comments from fellow coaches, Reagan faculty members, and players, both past and present. Every response to the announcement read a very similar way: Overby is a great coach and an even better man.

“I have worked with Coach Overby for many years now, both as an athletic director and as a fellow coach,” said current Reagan athletic director Alexis McCoy. “Coach Overby is a great person. He is always willing to help out when asked and go the extra mile when needed.”

Not only has Overby spent a lot of time with the basketball program, he has also worked as an assistant coach for soccer. Overby has met, interacted with, and coached many kids over the years and he said that getting to know the athletes will be what he will miss the most.

“I will miss the athletes and watching them grow and mature playing a sport that I love,” Overby said.

Among the numerous athletes Overby has taught and coached, none have meant more to him than his own children.

“My proudest moments personally were coaching my son during the 2013-2015 years, and then having him join me on staff as an assistant and with my daughter the one season in soccer along with many others with travel soccer,” Overby said.

First and foremost in importance to Overby is being a positive role model and helping teach the students he meets lessons that they can take with them in life in addition to the basketball court.

“It is my hope that they have learned the important values of taking advantage of opportunities that come their way everyday,” Overby said. “Don’t take anything for granted. Be appreciative, humble, and hardworking.”

Overby’s positivity has earned him a lot of respect and praise from his co-workers as well.

“Coach Overby has always been a positive role model to not only the basketball program but to Reagan Athletics as a whole,” McCoy said.

The next step for Overby is a break from coaching but not a break from teaching. He plans on finishing out his teaching career at Reagan, which he called his home since it opened in 2005. As for a return to the coaching world, Overby said it was doubtful but no not rule it out completely.

“I’ve been coaching for 23 years and I’m ready for some new challenges and interests,” Overby said. “However, I did not say I was retiring from coaching, just stepping down at this time. Who knows how I will feel next year when the season starts but for now, I need a break.”