Tuitions reduced with NC Promise

North Carolina begins NC Promise tuition plan. This plan applies to three Universities in North Carolina.

Madison Hepler, A&E Editor

The University of North Carolina System implemented a new tuition plan that offers a reduced tuition for all undergraduate students in 2018. The new cost is $500 per semester for North Carolina residents and $2,500 per semester for out-of-state students. 

This change is only available in three UNC schools, Elizabeth City State University (ECSU), the University of North Carolina at Pembroke (UNCP), and Western Carolina University (WCU). All undergraduate students are automatically enrolled in this program. 

Tuition and fees for universities are increasing in price every year, and many times it discourages students from applying, or excludes college from their future altogether. Without any eligibility requirements, this program creates opportunities for students who might not have had the chance to attend any university. 

“It’s very hard to get a job without a college degree today, so this is a great way for North Carolina to support students to get a good education while remaining debt free as they start in their new careers,” said senior Jessie Hinson.

This piece of legislation does not actually cut the tuition itself, instead, the state of North Carolina Government has created a budget that pays the schools the exact dollar amount that the previous tuition would be per student, ensuring that the school loses no money. 

The amount paid to each school offsets the loss of student payments determined at the beginning of every fiscal year by the Director of the Budget. The Board of Governors will observe the schools to make sure there are no funding losses.

The quality of the school resources and education is the exact same as it would be if students paid full tuition costs. While this takes a great deal of financial burden off of students, it also benefits the schools that take part in the program who have seen a dramatic rise in the number of new and transfer applicants. 

According to the University of North Carolina System website, in the fall of 2017, total undergraduate enrollment increased by 19 percent at ECSU, 14 percent at UNCP and 6 percent at WCU.

While the increase in enrollment is beneficial to the smaller schools, the main goal of the experimental program is to make education available to almost anyone. 

“The NC Promise Tuition Plan reaffirms the state’s commitment to make the university experience affordable and accessible to all,” according to the University of North Carolina website.

Various universities across the country have implemented similar systems, but North Carolina is the first to create legislation regarding fixed tuition rates. If this is successful, this may become a bigger trend. 

Many people are not aware of this financial plan, so WCU, UNCP and ECSU have placed it on every brochure and website, to get the word out.

“North Carolina’s initiatives to make a high-quality four-year degree more accessible and affordable means more opportunity for my students and their families,” said the Dean of students at Millbrook High School in Raleigh on the University of North Carolina System website. “The NC Promise Tuition Plan levels the playing field for students and families by giving them access to a UNC System school, and opportunities to pursue STEM and other majors at an affordable tuition rate.”