Bartlett wins national award

Zoe Evans, News Editor

Wendy Bartlett is a beloved math teacher here at Reagan. This is her 23rd year of teaching; as she had previously taught 19 years at Parkland, and this is her fourth year at Reagan. Bartlett earned her bachelor’s degree from Wake Forest University and her masters in math education from UNC Charlotte.

Throughout her career as a math teacher, she has won multiple awards. She has won the Marcellus Waddill Excellence in Teaching Award from Wake Forest University, the Career Award in Science and Mathematics, and the Outstanding Secondary Mathematics Teacher for WSFCS. 

But recently, Bartlett won the most prestigious award. She was awarded the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching,(PAEMST), along with three other teachers from North Carolina and others throughout the nation. The PAEMST is the highest honor a K-12 math or science teacher can be awarded. The federal government grants the winners a certificate signed by the president himself, and $10,000 from the National Science Foundation. 

“It is an honor to win the award. It has made me feel rejuvenated. It has also reminded me that each day I need to strive to be the teacher that this award says I am. Each day I need to work to meet the expectations of being a PAEMST recipient,” Bartlett said.  

Bartlett was recognized for her hard work, drive and determination to help all her students learn. In her classes throughout the day Bartlett incorporates technology, advanced lesson plans and methods for all students to learn.  

“My favorite thing about Mrs. Bartlett’s class is that she is very interactive while teaching new topics. She also gives us lots of time to talk with our groups so that we can ask each other questions and so that we really know what to do,”  said freshman Brice Bostian. 

Her goal is for her students to own their own learning, and to be in charge of what they learn and how much effort they put into math because she can’t make them learn but she can help. 

“I love when the lightbulb goes off for a student, and they make a connection or understand a concept for the first time,” said Bartlett. “I love when a student who has never felt like they could do math leaves my classroom believing they can do math.” 

On Oct. 16, Bartlett and her family got to go to Washington D.C to meet with the other award winners and a panel from the White House Office of Science and Technology to discuss how to implement new policies in education across the nation.  She also got a tour of the White House, but she did not get to meet President Trump. 

“I plan to stay in teaching for the next seven years,” said Bartlett.  “I am hoping that winning this award might give me a voice with the education policy makers in Raleigh. Maybe I can help recruit and retain new teachers. I am not sure what doors may open for me in the future because of this award- but I know you can find me in room 505 for quite some time.”