The Rooster

Dinah Reece Hometown Hero

Not all heroes wear capes; some wear aprons

OCS+teacher+Grace+Vaughan+converses+with+mentor+Dinah+Reece.+They+meet+frequently+throughout+the+year+to+discuss+progress+and+set+goals+for+the+classroom.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Dinah Reece Hometown Hero

OCS teacher Grace Vaughan converses with mentor Dinah Reece. They meet frequently throughout the year to discuss progress and set goals for the classroom.

Alex Lee

Alex Lee

Alex Lee

Molly Mullane, Alexis Carroll, and Alex Lee

Around the halls of Reagan, Dinah Reece’s name is one that most people know. Since it’s opening in 2005, Reece has been a pillar for all aspects of Reagan High School. Some might even say she is a Pfafftown hero.

“Mrs. Reece is a gift, not just to Reagan, but to everyone she comes in contact with,” said EC/OCS teacher Grace Vaughan.

Reece has worked with the WSFCS school system since 1985, well before her volunteer work began at Reagan.

What started as one heartfelt meal, has turned into many meals as Reece and her husband now dish out food for the staff of Reagan three to four times a year.  

Not only does Reece prepare food for the staff, but she also caters many sports banquets for Reagan athletes and coaches.  This also includes some of the pregame sports meals many athletes and coaches partake in. Some of these athletic banquets are held at her church, Old Town Baptist.

While her edible contributions to Reagan prove to be significant, Reece does so much more.

She also donates her time and knowledge to new teachers at Reagan. Reece began the mentoring program in 2005. Every year since then, she has encouraged and shed wisdom on the incoming staff.

“From my very first week here at Reagan, Mrs. Reece has been an unwavering system of support,” Vaughan said. “She has been a cheerleader in many aspects of my life.”

Reece has clearly had a tremendous impact on the new teaching staff through her mentoring program here at Reagan.  Through her weekly mentor meetings with new teachers, she establishes a strong connection with each.

“I can confidently say that Dinah is one of the kindest, most thoughtful people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing,” said English teacher Rebecca Martin.

Stepping away from Reagan in particular, Reece proves to hold a vital role for the community beyond the school’s walls.

Dinah Reece is a staple in the Pfafftown community for all of her dedication and volunteering in various outreach opportunities.

Reece has been and is still involved with organizations such as the Ronald McDonald House and with her church, Old Town Baptist as previously mentioned.

She has contributed to the Ronald McDonald House since 1994 and continues to serve twice a week to this day. Two of her most noted contributions to the Ronald McDonald House were through t-shirt sales and a self-published cookbook, “Cooking with Love: For the House that Love Built.”.

“I thought how can I teach these children that it’s important that you are going to get the biggest blessings in life yourself, when you give part of yourself away,” said Reece.  

Through the five years that t-shirts have been sold, over 28,500 dollars has been raised for the Ronald McDonald House.

Her inspiration for writing the cookbook stemmed for her love of the Ronald McDonald House and cooking. She was able to have Reagan’s first art teacher, Megan Davis Parlow, design the cover of the book.

In total, she has raised 35,000 dollars for the Ronald McDonald House through her cookbook.

“I really enjoy it because there are so many parents there who have so little and they are faced with the worst crisis’ of their life with a sick child,” said Reece.

Her kind heart and willingness to serve have been honored by the Reagan and Pfafftown community.

She was inducted in the inaugural Hall of Fame class of 2015. Reece was nominated and chosen by a selection committee consisting of a board member of the PTSA, a member from each of the three booster clubs, the Reagan High School principal and a current or former staff member.

“It is an honor being her grandson and I am glad that she has been named to the Hall of Fame because I think she is very deserving,” said senior Wilson Alexander, Reece’s grandson.

All in all, Dinah Reece is a name that will be impossible for Pfafftown to forget as she has blessed many people throughout the community.

And any advice for those wanting to help others just as Reece has done?

“Picking up a scrap of paper if you see it on the floor, anything you can do to get involved I think is really important,” Reece said.  “Find your niche and just jump in.”

About the Contributors
Molly Mullane, Online Editor-in-Chief

Hi! My name is Molly Mullane. This is my third year on newspaper staff and I am online editor-in-chief.  In my free time, I enjoy playing field hockey,...

Alexis Carroll, Features Editor

My name is Alexis Carroll and I am a senior this year. This is my second year on the newspaper staff. I am currently the features editor. I love hanging...

Alex Lee, Layout Editor

Hey! My name is Alex Lee and I am currently a senior at Reagan.  This is my third year being on the Rooster newspaper staff. I am currently the layout...