• November 28The Reagan Rooster wishes everyone a happy Holiday!

• November 28There will be an early release at 1:40 p.m. on Dec. 12

• August 31Follow the Rooster @ReaganRooster on instagram

What do the banners at Reagan represent to the different sports teams?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Throughout the course of the Reagan's 13 year history, the athletic program has seen a large amount of success.  In the gym, there are banners that act as a record to the championship titles attained by teams.

Throughout the course of the Reagan's 13 year history, the athletic program has seen a large amount of success. In the gym, there are banners that act as a record to the championship titles attained by teams.

Dani Foust, Rooster Reporter

The first time I walked into the gym at Reagan High School, I couldn’t help but  notice the humongous banners hanging from the walls. There they dangled, an archive the successes of the women’s and men’s sports of Reagan.  They all recorded at least one year of some type of championship, while other banners were so full they needed a second.

At first glance my eyes were overwhelmed, but after the immediate shock settled, three questions came to mind: Do these banners mean that one team is more successful than the other?  Is this the only way to determine which team at Reagan works the hardest for what they want? And are the men’s teams at Reagan better than the women’s, or vice versa?

For some sports teams, these banners represent the astonishing winning records they have been able to achieve alongside the amount of  success reached. Some sports use these banners as a source of motivation for the current season. One example would be the Raider swim team, specifically the women’s.  The Lady Raiders have been able to win conference 13 years in a row: since the school’s opening in 2005.

“I think the past success of the swim team gives us the motivation to strive to be better than the last,” sophomore swim team member Leanne Driscoll said.  “During the first month of our season, Coach takes us into the gym one day after school and shows us the swim team banner and all of the years we have won. He gives us a motivational talk on how we are working towards keeping the streak going.  I think the past success keeps us going in the sense that we don’t want to be the year that loses the winning streak that is going on. I think it motivates us to strive to be better every day.”

In some ways, these banners represent the hard work and dedication put in by athletes and coaches to achieve a positive outcome for the season, but they are not the only sources of measurement for commitment and labor.  A team may be able to show their success by beating a rival, improving their skills throughout the season or just by putting on notable performances.

During its first year of existence, the men’s sand volleyball team really bumped the competition around.  They not only dominated against teams in the region but also while facing teams from across the state. One doubles pair truly stood out from the rest; Bryan Sosa and Hunter Beem ultimately finished second in the state.

“I was very pleased with our success last year,” sophomore sand volleyball team member Andrew Harm said,  “having our top team place second in the state and our second team placing first alternate for state.”

Depending on who you ask about which team are better, women’s or men’s , you most likely will get different responses.  This is due the successes of both the men’s and women’s teams at Reagan.

“I am only a freshman, but from what I can tell the women’s teams are more successful,” said Rachel Miner.  “The volleyball team seemed really good, as well as the women’s basketball team.”

One men’s team at Reagan that saw success last season is baseball.  Last season, the Raiders baseball team won conference for the first time in the 13 year history of Reagan.

“Last season was amazing. We have had so many great teams and players here,” said  assistant coach Jeremy Livengood. “To win the conference is a wonderful achievement, and we will always be proud of the 2017 team.”

Other Reagan men’s sports teams that have achieved many great achievements include men’s basketball.  In the 2016-2017 season the Raiders made it to the first round of the state playoffs.

In the end, all the sports teams at Reagan aim to end their season with a new year on their banner, though not all achieve this goal.     

About the Writer
Dani Foust, Copy Editor

Hi, I am Dani Foust.  This is my second year on the Rooster staff.  I am a strong believer that a balanced diet consists of a cupcake in each hand.