• November 28The Reagan Rooster wishes everyone a happy Holiday!

• November 28There will be an early release at 1:40 p.m. on Dec. 12

• August 31Follow the Rooster @ReaganRooster on instagram

Cats Rule, Dogs Drool

The pet of the future is much better than man's best friend

Mary Gillon, Rooster Reporter

DISCLAIMER:  While I believe, as do many other people, that cats are superior to dogs, it doesn’t mean I hate dogs, as most people interpret,

Cats are better than dogs. It’s as simple as that. So I’m not even going to list every single reason that they’re better, but let’s just cover the basics.  

Here’s a little background on my firm belief that cats rule, dogs drool: I’ve grown up with only cats, besides the occasional fish. My mom and dad would never, ever consider getting a dog for our family. My dad, who grew up with only dogs, had many bad experiences with his dogs, so he and my mom, who grew up with only cats (and lots of them) were always in agreement with the fact that we would never be getting a dog, and their daughters could never sway them.

When I was in preschool, my best friend and next-door neighbor had a Whippet dog. They’re like super fast, bigger greyhounds. I had no experience whatsoever with dogs, but I stupidly asked her if I could hold the leash of her dog, Jessie. It all went downhill from there, literally. Within seconds, Jessie was sprinting down their steep driveway, and I somehow hadn’t managed to let go of the leash. I went home that day with a half-bloody face. Let’s just say, that left a scar. Literally. I have a scar under my nose.

But anyway– let’s cover some reasoning that people will actually care about:

For starters, cats are more popular pets among American households, which clearly means that they are more favored than canines.

Another plus to cats is the obvious point: they don’t bark. When you go to a dog-owning friend’s house, as soon as you step foot in their yard, you can hear the howling of a dog. While you may think it’s cute and that the dog is greeting you, the surrounding people who can also hear the dog do not think it’s cute. At all. It’s one of the most bothersome things I can think of.

Never mind. I take that back. The most bothersome thing I can think of is when I walk through someone’s yard and my foot finds its way into a pile of dog waste. But it’s fine. I’m fine.

On a brighter note, domesticated cats don’t do that! Yay! There’s a magical little box called a litter box that a cat can crawl into, do its business, cover it up with litter and then get out. Easy peasy. Why hasn’t anyone thought of litter box training dogs?! In addition to bringing Vine back, I think that could do the world some good.

I would also like to point out the fact that cats don’t eat their own poop. Just sayin’.

Cats all have their own personalities. And don’t come at me for that. Every single dog I’ve encountered is friendly and likes to smell your legs. How cool. Cats, on the other hand, are like unique little humans but furry! Except those hairless cats.

My two cats, for example, are total opposites. Luna is very skittish and will bolt any room if she can hear the slightest breath come from your mouth. She will stay in hiding beneath any piece of furniture that she can fit under for hours after house company has left. If you so much as to tiptoe near Luna as she eats her food, she’ll freak out and run to the closest bedroom and hide.

Spooky, on the other end of the spectrum, is a social butterfly. When we’re out of town, she’ll sit at the front door waiting for her pet-sitter to come in and feed her and then proceed to chase them around the house for the entire duration of their visit until they give her more food. She’s a flirt, so they always fall for it. Not to mention the fact that she’s such an attention hog to the point where she’ll stick out her claws and scratch the wall so you will know her presence is near, followed by faint squeaks that translate to “I’m heeeerrrreeeee…”

Cats are basically the animals of the future. They’re low maintenance and can basically take care of themselves while still providing you with company.

I think that covers the basics of my reasoning. Hopefully, I’ve convinced you that cats are on a higher tier than dogs, and if not, you can go read Molly Mullane’s article on support of dogs.

About the Writer
Mary Gillon, Opinions Editor

Hey! I’m Mary Gillon and I’m a junior. I love cats, monkeys, politics, and traveling. In my free  time I like to watch “Coraline” (my favorite...