Dash for Doobie: Tradition, and Talent are Treasured

Eric Fritz

The picture above shows the finish line at Dash for Doobie. This year, 514 athletes will cross it.

Emily Kottak, Features Editor

As winter sports inch closer, so does the annual Dash for Doobie track meet. This event began back in 2008, when it was called the Reagan 3200m. It was later renamed in memory of Nicholas “Doobie” Doub, a former Reagan runner and student who tragically passed away during his senior year of high school.

“The meet was originally for kids who wanted to pr in the two mile, and to keep kids sharp who were trying to run in the Footlocker national cross country meet,” said Reagan track/cross country head coach Eric Fritz. “In 2011 when Nicholas Doub passed away, the previous track/cross country coach, Coach Catton, changed the meet name to Dash for Doobie to honor Doub’s memory. When I came as a coach here, I told the principal and Mrs. McCoy that this was one of the traditions I wanted to keep.”

Dash for Doobie is now an annual track meet in which high school runners across the nation can participate in a 3200 meter, 2-mile race. The event is very large and gives athletes the opportunity to showcase their talent for the beginning of the indoor track season.

Reagan’s runners are looking strong as they prepare for this race. The girls varsity team finished 4th in the state cross country meet this year and the boys team finished 17th. Sophomore Sophie Faircloth placed 3rd overall.

“These accomplishments definitely give me confidence going into the indoor track season and the Dash for Doobie race,” Faircloth said. “It lets us know that we are in top shape and are able to compete well at a high level.”

Reagan’s cross country team has also had the help of another coach this year, Matt Fossa. Fossa has helped coach cross country since last year and has assisted in Dash for Doobie for several years. He’s looking forward to helping with preparations for the race.

“I’m very excited to be a part of it again this year,” Fossa said. “I hope it goes well because it makes Reagan look good. I get psyched up for our kids whenever they race so this is another opportunity to do that.”

Excitement continues to grow as Dash for Doobie comes closer. The event will take place on Nov. 18 in Reagan’s stadium, and all are welcome.

The meet will begin with the “Polar Bear” races in the morning for JV runners. That evening varsity runners will compete in the 3200 m race.

“Each year the race has gotten bigger and bigger,” Fritz said. “The first race we had only 20 boys and no girls, but last year we had 465 boys and girls combined. We have very fast athletes from all over the southeastern region coming to participate.“I’m hoping this will be the best year yet,” Fritz said.