Homecoming Queen: What does that mean?

Seniors+Hunter+Beem+and+Lauren+Blevins+wave+to+classmates+in+the+Homecoming+Parade.+The+parade+was+on+Friday+Sept.+15.+
Seniors Hunter Beem and Lauren Blevins wave to classmates in the Homecoming Parade. The parade was on Friday Sept. 15.

Hannah Boone

Hannah Boone

Haylie Paulin, Website Master

In most Hollywood movies, homecoming is portrayed as a popularity contest, fit only for the prettiest and most socially involved women. This is not the case for every high school Homecoming Court. It is not just about the court itself, but it’s a time when former Reagan students can come back and experience a Raider football game again.

Each senior can nominate three senior girls for the court. After votes are counted, the court is determined based on the ten nominees with the most votes. Once again the senior class meets to vote for one Homecoming Queen out of the ten girls elected. The queen was announced at the Homecoming football game during halftime on Friday, Sept. 15.

This years court includes Hunter Beem, Lauren Blevins, Meaghan Brown, Grace Burton, Lilly Cavanaugh, Uriah Cummings, Pebbles Forbus, Ayzha Frazier, Lauren Hale, and Maggie Mabe.

During the week of Homecoming the student body can participate in Spirit Week. Spirit week consists of a pep rally, tacky outfits, and Reagan pride in its most extreme form. This is a time for the whole school to come together and bleed teal.

“In my opinion, homecoming is a twofold,” said senior advisor Tiffany Cain. “It is a chance to show pride in the school for current teachers and students, as well as to give alumni and former administrators a time to reminisce.  It gives one date for all these to converge.”

The homecoming court consists of young women who are actively involved in the Raider community. Most girls are either leaders of clubs, play on sports teams or volunteer for local charities.

“I am super involved in the Reagan community,” said senior Lauren Blevins. “I’m the president and a bible study leader for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, President of No’bacco, Vice President of Community Service for FCCLA, a member of Crosby Scholars, part of the National Honors Society, NTSHS, NDHS, and NSHSS. I am also an intern at Vienna Elementary School. I love helping out in anyway possible whether it be the community or the school campus. My pride in being a Reagan Raider is inextinguishable ”

It is important to remember that homecoming does not define popularity. Being queen does not make them a tyrant over the student body. The court is merely a representation of the senior class and those many students who have graduated before us. The alumni that come back to celebrate Friday Night Lights share the special Reagan pride with us as they once did during their Homecoming.

The heart of this school truly lies in ‘No Raider Rides Alone’ and that will forever be Reagan’s cornerstone”

— Senior Lauren Blevins

“I think homecoming is great way to bring back students from all graduated classes,” said class of 2017 graduate and former Raiderette Ashley Rhoades. “It gives everyone a chance to watch another football game and also remember our own high school experience.”

There are several things to keep an open eye about as we enter Homecoming. It is meant for the whole student body, and we should enjoy it as if we were all kings and queens. The football game brings many former students back to Reagan and we all share one night showing Raider pride. Finally, the homecoming queen does not rule over the school. She is just an average person, going through her average high school life.

“When I graduate I would love to come back for homecoming as many other alumni do,” Blevins said. “Although Reagan is constantly changing and raising its standards every year, Reagan’s black, teal, and silver never change.”