Using an App to study

Morgan Dancy, Rooster Reporter

Advanced Placement tests are coming soon for Reagan and Career Center students. Some teachers have found a new method for students to study for the exams. If you have about two or three spare minutes from doing homework and need to study, then this app can help you.

The app by Glu Games Incorporate is called QuizUp. It is free in both the Apple store and Google Play store for Android.

You can create a free account to play an array of subjects. The app does have some advertisements, but you can pay about $3 to have the ad free game. There are also gems to collect depending on how long you can keep up a winning streak. You collect badges and questions as you get further through the topics.

The game updates weekly on different topics. It has 17 or so topics with many of subtopics. The AP subtopics included are AP US History, AP Environmental Science, AP Chemistry, AP Human Geography, AP Psychology, AP Literature and Composition , AP Calculus and AP Biology.

In the app, you choose the subject you want or search for a topic. The app also has different fun easy topics you can pick to take a breather from studying, like basic science, music theory, math, unscrambling words, film, Harry Potter, TV shows, medical questions, basic chemistry, and many more.

“I loved using the app because you aren’t just playing against classmates,” said senior Kourtney Nicholas. “ You are playing against people all over the world and people of all different ages as well.”

The most popular QuizUp topic in North Carolina is Harry Potter. The most recently updated ones are YouTube and Best of QuizUp.

A unique aspect of the app is that you can challenge friends and classmates to do seven questions at a time with 10 seconds for each question. This makes you think quickly and helps you with multiple choice questions. You get a score out of 10 and can always have a rematch with your opponents.

Another feature lets you challenge yourself and play solo to try to get a higher score if you would like to just study for your own benefit without the competition component.

In the topics, you can find daily pictures,  memes or posts that can go with the topics and help you remember facts, quotes, equations or problems that you can work on. You can also talk with other AP students from around the country to help you with studying or talking about the class.

On the newsfeed for the AP classes, you can scroll and see an array of people’s reviews who say this app has helped them study and do well on AP exams.

The most popular AP subtopics are AP Environmental Science and AP Psychology. The least popular is AP US History, which is harder to find people to challenge on.  

As AP exams approach, remember to study as much as you can for the exams and find what works best for you.