AFJROTC receives 10 year award for Adopt a Highway

Members of Reagan's AFJROTC pose in front of the Adopt a Highway sign. One cadet places the ten year award on the sign.

Maryanna Fagan, News Editor

Since 2007 Reagan High School’s AFJROTC (Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps) program has found a way to give back to the community. For 10 years now, they have participated in the Adopt a Highway Program as a way to help teach the students responsibility and help clean up around the campus. Adopt a Highway, also known as Sponsor-a-Highway, is a way to encourage volunteers to keep a section of a highway or road free from litter.

The highways that the AFJROTC have adopted are Transou Road and Balsom Road both roads Reagan has driveways on. The students go along these roads and pick up all the garbage and litter along the sides. They also pick up the garbage and recyclables from around the campus.

Once a quarter, they contact the Adopt a Highway Program and will go and do a pickup. The program weighs and picks up the garbage and recyclables after the job is done. This insures that the AFJROTC is meeting all the requirements of adopting a highway. This year AFJROTC was given a 10 year award the governor Pat McCrory for their work with the highway program.

“Getting the 10 year award from the governor is a big deal to us because it shows all the hard work that we have put into keeping up this program at Reagan High School and the time we have spent to give back to our school and surrounding community,” Chief Douglas Mcintyre said. “It is always a good feeling to be recognized for doing something positive.”

The program is usually carried out by around 12 cadets that volunteer to help out. They are given service hours for participating and it is very beneficial to students to get the experience of helping to clean up their community.

“It helps the cadets who participate to gain a respect for the community and help to improve the environment all around us,” Mcintyre said.

Both the AFJROTC instructors and students feel it is a beneficial program for the school and the community.

“The Adopt a Highway program is a great way for students to serve our community and our school while achieving something at the same time,” junior Emma Kate Cumbo said.