Thomas Norwood named 2017-18 teacher of the year

Natalie Reeder, Online Editor-In-Chief

Thomas Norwood, Sports & Entertainment Marketing I & II teacher, was named 2017-18 teacher of the year. Norwood has received an outpouring of support from staff for his selection as teacher of the year.

“I believe Mr. Norwood deserves teacher of the year because he genuinely cares for students at Reagan,” said Technical Education teacher Ryan Crater. “He not only cares about how his students do in the classroom but he cares outside the classroom as well. Mr. Norwood makes Reagan a better place through his kindness to others and his infectious happy personality.”

Norwood uses his previous work experience to help his students achieve more in the classroom. He has 20+ years in business experience including working for Fruit of the Loom and PGI as group product manager interfacing with European, Canadian and Mexican operations.

“That international travel helps me in teaching students about our global economy,” Norwood said.

Norwood doesn’t just use his job experience to inform his teaching, he also uses a myriad of technological tools to enhance his teaching style. His marketing class uses technology to produce videos highlighting Reagan athletes.

“SEM Raider superstar is a marketing class creation to encourage other students to participate in sports and to acknowledge our student athletes,” Norwood said. “ [It] teaches students marketing, creative writing, and stage presence.”

While Norwood’s students enjoy getting to learn about sports marketing in his class, they also enjoy his teaching style.

“Mr. Norwood was always able to make learning unique and exciting whether that be by taking us to the library to work on the computers or bringing pizza and doughnuts for his classes,” senior Matthew Spangler said.

Norwood not only makes a huge difference through his teaching at Reagan but also through his after school contributions. He sponsors FBLA and Guitar Club.

“I sponsored FBLA to help young men and women achieve future success in business and to become responsible business leaders,” Norwood said. “The guitar club serves Reagan high school offering free sessions to students and staff attempting to explore their creative talents.”

Norwood, through his teaching and through these clubs, is able to offer even more opportunities to students to do well.

“He has a great relationship with his students, and really goes out of his way to help them be successful,” said Business Education teacher Brad Poindexter. “This applies not only to his classes, but also to groups like Guitar Club and FBLA.  I know many former students have either visited or contacted Mr. Norwood to thank him for helping them during their time at Reagan.”

Many current students are also appreciative of the relationship they are forming with Norwood.

“Every class is a new fun experience because we always play fun games; we get to scream and yell and I feel like I have a personal relationship with Mr. Norwood,” sophomore David Asbill said.

Norwood plans to continue teaching at Reagan until retirement, and hopes to continue helping students reach their potential.

“I’d like to let each student know that they have the God-given abilities to achieve all of their dreams and goals,” Norwood said. “I’d also like to tell them that when obstacles arise to search for positive and constructive answers and solutions.”