Reagan athletic teams work hard during off-season, winter workouts

Maria Lovato, Print Editor-In-Chief

Reagan has a history of athletic excellence, having won seven Wells Fargo Cups, five consecutive. Clearly that doesn’t happen by accident. Reagan teams of all levels and sports work hard during their seasons and some even practice during the off-season or during school breaks to maintain the level of skill RHS is known for.

Teams that do extra practices during their school year off-season include baseball, football, men’s and women’s lacrosse, and women’s soccer. Baseball head coach, physical education and ISS teacher, Gary Nail stresses that off-season workouts promote team unity and the fundamentals of the sport.

“Off season workouts helps with team chemistry by having all players out there working together, pushing each other and encouraging each other to get better everyday,” Nail said. “During these workouts we talk about team goals, what it takes to win games and championships and why working hard is so important.”

Senior and outfielder Matthew Barrett thinks off-season workouts are “important to get the team motivated” and ready for the season.

“Off-season workouts help our team work together during the regular season,” Barrett said. “Our team motto for the upcoming season is ‘It’s up to me if we succeed.’”

The recent winter break was a good opportunity for some winter sports teams, including swimming and basketball, to get extra practice in before their championship seasons. The time off from school gave these athletes time to focus on their sport and bond with their teammates.

“I believe that a lot of our success this season in basketball has come from our workouts and weight training during winter break, because it grew our strength and chemistry early,” said senior and forward Jessica Hartis.

Holiday workouts have always been a huge part of reinforcing the bond that gives our team the strength to continue through the long tough season.”

— Head women's basketball coach Eric Rader

While most students were sleeping or watching holiday movies, the women’s basketball team was working hard to improve. This shows the commitment these players have to their sport and their teammates.

“Holiday workouts have always been a huge part of reinforcing the bond that gives our team the strength to continue through the long tough season,” said head women’s basketball coach Eric Rader. “Nothing worth accomplishing is ever done without sacrifice, and this time is evidence of the commitment our players give to each other and our women’s basketball program.”  

Women’s lacrosse also participates in off-season workouts. These sessions help to get new players familiar with the game, and returning players in shape.

“Women’s lacrosse at Reagan is unlike most of the other high school sports in that most have never played the sport before high school so we spend a lot of time, energy and focus on fundamentals,” head coach Lisa Smith said. “The most beneficial part of the pre-season practices is it allows me to teach the new girls fundamentals and the returning players to focus on fine tuning their fundamentals so that the first few weeks of the true season I can focus on skills and game strategy.”

The commitment and work-ethic exemplified by off-season and winter workouts truly shows what it means to be a Raider.