Fashion merchandising window displays in the media center

The+%2216th+Birthday%22+window+display+in+the+Media+Center+created+by+the+Fashion+Merchandising+classes.+

Kayleigha McIntyre

The "16th Birthday" window display in the Media Center created by the Fashion Merchandising classes.

Emily Kottak, Rooster Reporter

Students who have recently passed by the Media Center may have noticed something different in the windows. Displays created by Mrs. Derouin’s second period class, Fashion Merchandising, are set up in the windows.
The biggest question from students is “Why are they there?” The displays were a project for the class.
“Fashion Merchandising is very business and global sourcing focused,” Fashion Merchandising teacher Michelle Derouin said. “It looks at the business aspect, takes into consideration sourcing and everything it takes to get a product from the mill to a product in your bag. I took the course in high school during my senior year.”
Fashion Merchandising is a CTE (Career Technical Education) class offered at Reagan. The class hasn’t been offered since 2013.
The window displays are a great opportunity for the students to be able to create and design their own products. Fashion and Merchandising students brought in their own clothes and materials to contribute to the displays. The class went through a creative process and worked very hard to create the displays.
“First we got into groups and planned out a season/theme that the outfits would be based on,” Fashion Merchandising student and sophomore Larsen Osborne said. “Then, we drew a sketch of what the final display would look like with the outfits and background we had chosen. Next, we planned on what each person would bring in to make the display come to life and when each group would start putting up their displays. Finally, we brought in our materials and started putting it together.”
Creating and preparing the the displays was a tough process and took a lot of hard work. However, the class had fun with the designing and it  was enjoyable for everyone.
“It is working with my students and seeing them work on the projects and that’s why being a teacher is so important,” said Derouin.
The window displays gave students a taste of what fashion merchandising is all about.