Speed Demons

Students rushed for time have been receiving speeding tickets in the travels between Reagan and Career Center

Maryanna Fagan, News Editor

Many juniors and seniors who attend Reagan also attend career center, and most of the students who attend the Career Center drive there. Driving to and from the Career Center can be  stressful and make students feel pressured in the short travel time they are given.

Most students, who do not have a free period, only have about 25 minutes to get back to Reagan. The average time to get out of the parking lot alone is 5 minutes, leaving students only have about 20 minutes to rush to get to class.

“When leaving Career Center I feel very rushed to get back to the Reagan campus on time and not be late to any of my classes,” said junior Devon Nedved. “I know we may have passes that excuse us [who go to career center] from being late but I feel if I am late it will begin to add up and I will start missing material.”

There are a few routes that students can take back to Reagan, one of the more popular, and maybe quicker, is highway 52. There is a strict speed limit on 52 of 55 for the first 6 miles making it a potential danger zone for speeders, and then it changes to 65 for the last 3 miles.

Since most students are in a rush to get back to school and have assignments on their mind, they are not always paying close attention to the speed limits. This is an easy place for cops to

sit and wait to catch the teenage drivers who speed by.

“I was driving with the flow of traffic, not realizing that I was speeding and next thing I know I was being pulled over by an undercover state trooper,” said Nedved. “Since I am under 18 and was apparently going 21 over the speed limit, the trooper told me my license was going to be revoked.”

The punishment for minors is more severe then punishment against adults, and if you are caught going 25+ over the speed limit it is considered a misdemeanor.

It is easy for the cops to patrol the areas that students travel during the day and watch for careless error of drivers.

“Its easy to not be watching for an upcoming cop or speed change and to be caught doing something that you are not supposed to be doing,” senior Brandon Sheng said. “There are many places where it simple for a cop to sit and wait where you can not see them when you are approaching.”

Even though Career Center students have passes to excuses tardiness, students would much rather be on time to class. Sometimes being on time is hard to achieve and can end up causing more problems for students from being pulled over then they had before.

“Even if I am only missing the first 10 to 15 minutes of class I feel pressure to make it back as soon as possible so I do not miss any key information that is gone over in that fist part of class,” Sheng said.